What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Rants etc.....

sswilson

Staff member
did you turn it on the right way? you know, when you flip the switches, you did it in the proper order? :sneaky:

Heh... I haven't dug all that deeply into it yet. What I do know is that I get corruption with it enabled, and that the corruption goes away when I disable it. My basic understanding is that SAM allows the vid card to use a more direct interface with the cpu, so I'm thnking that it's possible that my CPU OC is the cause?

For now... I'm just glad I found a "fix" that doesn't involve thinking that the memory on my card is going bad.....

sswilson

Staff member
I don't get it.... Does Toronto not have any snow clearing equipment, nor any winter overnight parking bans?

They get 35cm and it's snowmaggedon that takes several days to clean up. We typically get 40+ every week or two, and the roads are cleared and ready to go in time for folks to get to work the next morning.

lowfat

Staff member
Can't comment on Toronto, but our plows run 24/7 and they can never catch up currently. Last 48 hours have been a nightmare. Freezing rain, then 20cm, then a drop by 30C. Lucky I didn't rip the exhaust off the vehicle from the ruts.

gingerbee

well I was born and raised in the T-dot and I can tell you yes they do but they only plow the main streets and once they get to the side streets cause there is so much snow they have dump truck's and a front end loader following the plow around to take the snow somewhere out of the city, they use to take it to the "Leslie street spit" now I don't know since they turned it into a park.

you gotta remember that they use to so much of it melting just from the heat of the city and ending up in the sewer system when that dont happen they really have nowhere to keep the plowed snow they can't stop people from parking on the main streets where would they all park,
So all that snow has to be trucked out.

from what I remember they had no overnight parking bans besides at places like city hall.

right now outside of my house, we have a 6-foot tall snow pile all the way down the edge of our street on both sides which is normal but that would never work in Toronto

Shadowmeph

The whole LED ,hid,halogen thing is confusing to me, I am not even sure what my car is using I am guessing that since it is an 06 Lexus is350 its probably Halogen, my low beam HEad lights are crap if ther is on coming traffic its like my headlights are not even one and most times its like I see maybe 2-3 car lengths ahead, I have been reading up on the different types and I have read stories of people ( and I have seen this also) replacing headlights for brighter ones but then while driving down the road the light is slowly flashing, again I have seen this allot, all I want is brighter low beam head light s that will last a little while and I really don't want to fork out a few hundred then go through the hassle of pulling apart my car to switch them and then find out they are not working correctly and are flashing. and what's with everyone buying blue lights, I do sort of understand that some light colours affect the brightness in some weather conditions this I have known since childhood when they used to use yellow lights in fog.
its all confusing to me if I switch lights then I might have to buy ballasts wth hehe .

Izerous

Folding Team
The whole LED ,hid,halogen thing is confusing to me, I am not even sure what my car is using I am guessing that since it is an 06 Lexus is350 its probably Halogen, my low beam HEad lights are crap if ther is on coming traffic its like my headlights are not even one and most times its like I see maybe 2-3 car lengths ahead, I have been reading up on the different types and I have read stories of people ( and I have seen this also) replacing headlights for brighter ones but then while driving down the road the light is slowly flashing, again I have seen this allot, all I want is brighter low beam head light s that will last a little while and I really don't want to fork out a few hundred then go through the hassle of pulling apart my car to switch them and then find out they are not working correctly and are flashing. and what's with everyone buying blue lights, I do sort of understand that some light colours affect the brightness in some weather conditions this I have known since childhood when they used to use yellow lights in fog.
its all confusing to me if I switch lights then I might have to buy ballasts wth hehe .
You should figure out what is in there before going any further. Blinking headlights to me means 1 of 2 things.

1. If they are flashing with a very sharp on/off like flipping a light switch then that is often a sign of an issue with an HID ballast. Energize turn light on, de-energize turn light off. Bad circuitry in a ballast can cause that.

2. Bad alternator, neighbour down the street his van clearly has a bad alternator and almost a year later he hasn't done anything about it but when he starts his van the bulbs go bright dim bright dim but in pulses like someone playing with a dimmer instead of a standard on/off light switch.

LED bulbs are often not designed properly for halogen housing, the diodes themselves are often not placed quite right for a housing that was specifically designed around a halogen filament which after being standardized for decades is in a VERY specific spot and the reflectors positioned based on that spot. Often if you have halogen reflectors a better halogen bulb is your best choice.

Now if you have HID projectors people just like blue bulbs and the lack of quality in LEDs is more forgiving in a HID projector but your often better off just using whatever is supposed to be in there. They make halogen projectors as well but something like a lexus is more likely to have HIDs from the factory.

Googling your car + headlight... left is a halogen reflector which is likely your high beam. Something like a PIAA Extreme bulb instead of the cheapest option in Canadian tire would make a difference. The right is a projector and if there is a balast it is an HID bulb, if no balast then likly a halogen projector. These dual bulb setups usually the projector is usually the low beam.

Screen Shot 2022-01-19 at 11.43.57 AM.png

I might have pulled up the wrong image for your specific model but i hope that helps even a little bit.

JD

Staff member
I don't get it.... Does Toronto not have any snow clearing equipment, nor any winter overnight parking bans?
We were getting ~10cm per hour and saw closer to 60cm in Toronto in the span of 8-10hr? The winds didn't help either resulting in big drifts. 35cm was the average and away from the lake. My understanding is that it was falling too rapidly to be cleared, resulting in cars/trucks/buses getting stuck and then not being able to plow at all. We also stuck around the -10C mark so nothing was melting, today we're hitting +3 briefly and back down to -10C tonight. I suspect a ton of ice tomorrow...

I guess the other aspect is the density too, streets are too narrow in the downtown core and housing there typically does not have driveways, so street parking is the only option. Even in the normal suburbs of Toronto there isn't really much space to pile heaps of snow. Our road is 3 cars wide, and now its about 1.5 cars wide. Even the major roads generally lose half a lane on either side as the sidewalk is against the road, so the sidewalk plow pushes snow onto the road.

Hard to quantify if we did a "good" or "bad" job though, we're the biggest city in Canada, so the scale is different. We'd probably have to look at how many snowplows we have per square kilometer of roadway or something.

This was our yard the morning of, after moving 1 car out:

1642617378679.png

Shadowmeph

You should figure out what is in there before going any further. Blinking headlights to me means 1 of 2 things.

1. If they are flashing with a very sharp on/off like flipping a light switch then that is often a sign of an issue with an HID ballast. Energize turn light on, de-energize turn light off. Bad circuitry in a ballast can cause that.

2. Bad alternator, neighbour down the street his van clearly has a bad alternator and almost a year later he hasn't done anything about it but when he starts his van the bulbs go bright dim bright dim but in pulses like someone playing with a dimmer instead of a standard on/off light switch.

LED bulbs are often not designed properly for halogen housing, the diodes themselves are often not placed quite right for a housing that was specifically designed around a halogen filament which after being standardized for decades is in a VERY specific spot and the reflectors positioned based on that spot. Often if you have halogen reflectors a better halogen bulb is your best choice.

Now if you have HID projectors people just like blue bulbs and the lack of quality in LEDs is more forgiving in a HID projector but your often better off just using whatever is supposed to be in there. They make halogen projectors as well but something like a lexus is more likely to have HIDs from the factory.

Googling your car + headlight... left is a halogen reflector which is likely your high beam. Something like a PIAA Extreme bulb instead of the cheapest option in Canadian tire would make a difference. The right is a projector and if there is a balast it is an HID bulb, if no balast then likly a halogen projector. These dual bulb setups usually the projector is usually the low beam.

View attachment 33470

I might have pulled up the wrong image for your specific model but i hope that helps even a little bit.
yes, that appears to be my headlight lens.
ok so with ballast HID without ballast halogen. so now I need to see if my car has one but fiorst I need t ofind is ther is one where it would be located lol
thanks

lowfat

Staff member
Easy to tell if it is an HID as when you start them up cold, they'll flash bright for a fraction of a second. Then be real dim and increase in brightness over a period of 5 to 15s.

Bulbs need to be replaced every 5 or so years depending on usage. They don't diez they just gradually get dimmer and dimmer. There is also a huge counterfeit market for bulbs. I'd personally only buy from authorized resellers.

EDIT: ballast will be mounted to bottom of the headlight housing.

Last edited: