What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Rants etc.....

gingerbee

I know a friend of mine who owns a security company was able to get me some crazy pricey cameras but they started to go a few months ago, they were pretty old. the new much cheaper ones I got that use IR for their night vision the FLIR DVR was blowing them out cause it didn't know how to handle the data coming from them so out goes the FLIR and in comes the ZOSI cheapie that works great, now I have a total of 9 cameras that all work fine but will only be using 6 at most.

I never needed the high-end stuff it's just for my house plus all my neighbors have gotten security cameras since we bought the house and I clued them all in that you can get basic decent stuff for cheap, I can't take all the credit since a local drug addict helped me convince them all when he stole one neighbor's car/wallet/credit cards and another motorcycle and really nice helmets oh and some lawn tool IE gas blower, none of them were too happy but once I was able to give them and the police pictures of the moron who did it they were quite happy and eager to get cameras

Shadowmeph

spent weekend adding mods to Skyrim ae all was good playing the game and then my save games are all corrupted after spending long hours attempting to build a vampire necro mage ugg

sswilson

Staff member
Windows 11 update Still insists on installing their crap WDM AMD display drivers over top of the official AMD adrenaline ones! At least the Adrenaline install is now configured to write over it with the correct drivers, but it's getting tiresome to have to re-install (or roll back) the proper drivers every time there's a new WDM version, or there's a major W11 update with the WDM driver folded in.

It looks like it would be possible to turn off all device updates globally, but that would put the rest of my hardware at risk of not getting security updates. It needs to be a finer tool for specifying which devices should not be looking for microsoft updates.

LaughingCrow

Windows 11 update

It needs to be a finer tool for specifying which devices should not be looking for microsoft updates.
I dread Win 10 updates. My first thought is, what is this going to break this time around. Lately it's been kind. But I still have a couple of problems I can't fix. Windows at times insists I have headphones & I have to go reset it to the only speakers I have attached...

sswilson

Staff member
I dread Win 10 updates. My first thought is, what is this going to break this time around. Lately it's been kind. But I still have a couple of problems I can't fix. Windows at times insists I have headphones & I have to go reset it to the only speakers I have attached...

Or, every time you plug a monitor into a different plug it decides that the monitor should be the default audio...... :mad:

JD

Staff member
Windows 11 update Still insists on installing their crap WDM AMD display drivers over top of the official AMD adrenaline ones! At least the Adrenaline install is now configured to write over it with the correct drivers, but it's getting tiresome to have to re-install (or roll back) the proper drivers every time there's a new WDM version, or there's a major W11 update with the WDM driver folded in.

It looks like it would be possible to turn off all device updates globally, but that would put the rest of my hardware at risk of not getting security updates. It needs to be a finer tool for specifying which devices should not be looking for microsoft updates.
Hmm AMD still hasn't adopted DCH yet? Kind of concerning they're still stuck on WDDM. I thought they fixed up their driver suite, but this would lead me to think otherwise...

sswilson

Staff member
Hmm AMD still hasn't adopted DCH yet? Kind of concerning they're still stuck on WDDM. I thought they fixed up their driver suite, but this would lead me to think otherwise...

It's more than likely I've got my names wrong (between DCH and/or WDDM). The issue is that the version numbers don't match between the windows update version(s) and the ones installed by Adrenaline. The windows ones are "30 series" while the most recent adrenaline ones are "20 series" which results in windows thinking that it's got a newer version and thus it groups the vid driver in with all other device updates (without an option to disable just the vid driver) which in turn then makes the Adrenaline control panel to spit out a "this driver isn't compatible" error when you try to run it.

In the bad old days the adrenaline install process wouldn't work at all if the windows drivers were installed and you had to use DDU to uninstall the windows ones while not allowing update to connect until you got the AMD ones installed. Now, you at least don't have to go through the DDU process as Adrenaline will install itself over the windows ones regardless of the version number.

JD

Staff member
Still sounds "bad" either way, why would they publish a 30.x driver to Windows Update, but only deliver a 20.x driver with their own tools? Definitely not Microsoft to blame, it's AMD :)

I think NVIDIA had a bit of a switchover period too, where you could install the non-DCH driver, but now I think it defaults to DCH. Windows Update seems to offer an older driver than GFE, so I haven't run into any issues in a while.

lowfat

Staff member
Haven't carried cash in 15 years. In that time my wallets never had a spot for cash. Bought something for my parents with credit card. They paid me back in cash. Proceed to lose $50 at the gas station today pulling out wallet.
:mad:

Cypher^64

Yeesh. This hypervisor project just gets frustrating

1) intel i350 won’t work reliable in a Lenovo sff - buy case, psu, motherboard, fans and new hsf
2) Esxi doesn’t support intels efficiency cores. Some googling, disable e cores in bios. Even if the i350 worked in the Lenovo I’d need a new motherboard cause the limited settings in the Lenovo doesn’t have option to disable them
3) alright. Making progress. Get a Ubuntu vm for pihole setup and running. Btw the i350 works flawless now.
4) making more progress. Get two win 10 vms spun up.
5) now to pass through the igpu to the plex vm. Install and reboot. BSOD. Code 43. Well known issue. Intel apparently knows of this issue and have not resolved it.

I think I have a quadro m2000 kicking around, but at this point im thinking just gonna leave everything on the nas and quit remote viewing plex. And sell the computer and buy beer. Lotsa beer oh yea. Watch plex :)