What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Raspberry Pi 3 vs Pi 2

yamawho

The Raspberry Pi 3 was released Feb 29th.

I am still using the Raspberry Pi on one of my TV's (for Kodi) which I believe was the 2nd version released. It has a single core CPU with 512mg of ram and only two USB ports and a RJ45.

Although these days picking up a MX3 android box is compelling since many are already preloaded with the OS and Kodi.

Here are some highlights:

On the wireless side the Raspberry Pi 3 embarrasses the Pi 2. It has Wi-Fi and Bluetooth, where you’d need to use USB adapters to add that to a Pi 2.

The Raspberry Pi 2 has a quad-core 900MHz CPU, the Pi 3 a quad-core 1.2GHz one. Both have 1GB RAM and both use a fourth-generation VideoCore CPU. From a glance you could dismiss this as a connectivity upgrade, but the performance boost is big. Both are VideoCore IV chipsets, but where the Pi 2 is clocked at 250MHz, this new one is 400MHz.

Perhaps the least well-documented upgrade is the RAM. Both models have 1GB, both are forms of DDR2. But where the Raspberry Pi 2 has 450MHz, RAM, the Pi 3 has 900MHz RAM.

Read more here ...
Raspberry Pi 3 vs Pi 2: What's the difference?

Attachments

• raspberry pi 3.JPG
    raspberry pi 3.JPG
    28.2 KB · Views: 640

Mastabutts

I use plex/chromecast for everything these days, but I might eventually just pick up one of these things for fun

yamawho

In my first post I had made this comment ...

Although these days picking up a MX3 android box is compelling since many are already preloaded with the OS and Kodi.

I purchased two of these MX3 android boxes and one has become corrupted ... these may not be as good as I thought. I replaced it with a PI and we seems to work better then these ever did.

I did buy a few PI's years ago but decided to skip the B+ and the PI 2. After my experience with the android boxes, I decided to order a PI 3.

It just came in today and I haven't decided what I'm going to with it first.

Attachments

• PI3.JPG
    PI3.JPG
    19.6 KB · Views: 386

Shadowmeph

where does one learn about raspberry pi I am curious as to maybe building a simple media player and old gaming system, is it possible to do with raspberry pi?

zoob

Resources:
https://www.reddit.com/r/raspberry_pi/
https://www.hackster.io/raspberry-pi/projects

Gaming emulators:
The RetroPie Project – petRockBlog
PiPlay (formerly PiMAME) | Gaming and Emulators for the Raspbery Pi | Shea Silverman

With Milhouse builds you can playback low bitrate HEVC 720p content:
OpenELEC Testbuilds for RaspberryPi (Kodi 17.0)

If Openelec ever has a working build for Odroid-C2, that will be my next "HTPC" media box.
Until then I'll stick with a Pi2 for 1080p and my HTPC for 4K/HEVC.

yamawho

Attachments

• pi3 case.JPG
    pi3 case.JPG
    26.4 KB · Views: 864

Latest posts

Twitter