What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Raspberry Pi foundation announces Raspberry Pi 4b

Arinoth

Staff member
I was able to get a fastish USB drive to be bootable/usable with elec. I've been happy with it while I wait for the Pi 4 to hit Amazon.

Shadowmeph

So I am currious anyone bought one of these with 4GB? I am considering it but the price is a little high with just 2 more gb added when compared to the pi 3b debatings on using it as a media player for streaming from my other Harddrives with TV and movies on them. the pi 3 b used to run very hot and it was a real problem for me to connect to my PC

Entz

Mine is a 2GB, I felt the same way in that the cost benefit really isn't there. It is already double the 3B anyways and for what I use it for that was fine before it more than fine now.

Izerous

Folding Team
I think for something like RetroPi 4GB could be very useful when trying to run some of the more demanding emulators and games but you also need to think of it this way. This whole time everything Pi related has been with the previous memory limitations in mind, and people get lazy when they have more to work with. I don't need to optimize this I have 4GB ram to play with. Kind of like a cartridge game vs the first game on CD, or the first games on DVD so much more to work with so who cares about texture optimizations we have room to spare. I think eventually usages will pop up that will be 4GB minimum and run away just like everythign else.

Entz

Way overkill lol but it will work fine. I think you really only need a first gen for it, I have a 2B at my parents running pi-hole and it is idle like 99% of the time.

But as you say, why not. The only thing to watch which cable you use to power it... there be gremlins!

Sagath

Staff member
Folding Team
pi-hole takes almost nothing to run. A 4b is super-doooooper overkill. Mine is also running off a 2B.

That being said, running a pi-hole > not running one.

Latest posts