What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Rate my PSU

On2wheels

This is the supply I've been using for years, even before I switched to Ryzen. I've no complaints running a ryzen 3600 and a 1080ti without overclocks.
Think it's enough for a 6800XT or 3080/3080ti without o/c or is a simple "don't gamble a whole bunch of money on an old PSU" type thing? I may eventually go to a ryzen 5700x.

JD

Staff member
I would say it's time to replace, the "first available" date (Newegg says 2009, Amazon 2010), this PSU is 13 years old.

I base it upon the warranty provided by the manufacturer. Top-end units are usually 10-12yr. Looks like this Coolermaster was only 5yr. That helps to determine what level of quality of components they put into it.

I had a bad PSU fry a motherboard and CPU. Definitely not worth cutting corners :)

YoungMan

Wattage is fine, I'd be more concerned about the age of the PSU.
Use a power supply tester and check if the voltages are in spec. My seasonic 450w OEM (gray box looking thing) PSU with only 1 year warranty finally kicked the can after 10 years. Even then, it was just the 3.3v rail that was messed up, 5v and 12v were fine.

FYI, my VR setup is using an i7-6700k/1080ti on a fractal 450w bronze. Also have a ryzen 1700/1080ti on a seasonic 550w platinum.
I've measured the wattage drawn from the wall using a BluePlanet meter and my UPS also gives the same reading of how much is drawn. Ranged from 250-350w under stress tests for both systems.

You're going to be fine on 700w, just make sure the 3.3v and 5v are fine, otherwise you'll run into random intermittent issues with some onboard components.
You're better off investing in a nice sine-wave 1500VA UPS rather than a new power supply.

clshades

I'm not a fan of Cooler Master PSU's, they don't even get a glance from me, though they may have gotten better? At the end of the day, with the way computer components are becoming more power hungry, I wouldn't go less than 850w.

Soultribunal

Staff member
Luckily that particular PSU should be Enhance as its OEM , which is a good OEM (not the best, but decent enough for long use).
That being said, given its age, I wouldn't keep it if you upgrade your core system.

-ST

Latest posts