What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Reaching a wifi signal that is /just/ out of reach

AmuseMe

I’m currently at the lake setting up our new trailer, and am wondering if there is some way of picking up a wifi signal that is just barely out of range so our TV / iPad

They offer free, non-password / open wifi and we can just see it on our devices, but it’s not quite strong enough to pick up.

Do I just need a basic repeater? Or is there some sort of antenna that I can use?

Sagath

Staff member
Folding Team
'Repeater' should work just fine, including almost any commercial OTS router in repeater mode. But be aware that the stronger the signal the repeater gets the better off the end user will be. Also expect latency to go up drastically, as you're sending & transmitting twice.

Mr. Friendly

not really. a booster only boosts the signal it gets...so if your signal is crap, you'll have a strong connection to the booster, but the performance will still be weak.

sswilson

Staff member
I'm wondering if something like this would do the trick....

Not a recommendation, just something I found that looks like it's designed for what you want to do....

ZZLEE

You can maybe use some seat metal curved around the out door antenna to help the signal.

Mr. Friendly

I've worked on projects for WiFi / Cellular boosters for cars / offices / outbuildings, etc.

a booster / extender cannot make a bad connection better.

I see two possible solutions:

1) put a booster / extender where the signal is still strong enough that you actually get usable speeds where you are.
2) talk to the owner of the wifi signal and see if they'll let you setup something like a Ubiquiti Nano Beam point to point antenna system (if trees don't get in the way as it is line of sight).

sswilson

Staff member
I've worked on projects for WiFi / Cellular boosters for cars / offices / outbuildings, etc.

I see two possible solutions:

1) put a booster / extender where the signal is still strong enough that you actually get usable speeds where you are.
2) talk to the owner of the wifi signal and see if they'll let you setup something like a Ubiquiti Nano Beam point to point antenna system (if trees don't get in the way as it is line of sight).
I'm thinking that if they can see the signal (inside the trailer) on their devices but it's not strong enough to get a reliable connection that an externally mounted antenna with a repeater inside the trailer "might" do the trick....

Mr. Friendly

I'm thinking that if they can see the signal (inside the trailer) on their devices but it's not strong enough to get a reliable connection that an externally mounted antenna with a repeater inside the trailer "might" do the trick....
there is a slight chance that could work. what's the WiFi performance on your cellphone with that connection? if it's good, SSW is probably right. could be your trailer is acting a bit like a faraday cage and interfering.

Sagath

Staff member
Folding Team
Semantically, you're correct. However, with smart placement (which means somewhere else that has a stronger signal AND can still reach where you want signal) it can absolutely provide additional quality coverage.

Latest posts

Twitter