What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Ready to build upgrade w/Ryzen 7, but loading Windows 7 first?

Anidara

After hours of watching HC videos and reviews I finally chose to build a new PC (mine finally died) with the Ryzen 7. I have a lot of programs that were backed up from my old computer that I'd like to load onto my new PC, so I'm wondering if it would be easier to just load Windows 7 first, plus my old programs and THEN upgrade to Windows 10 or If i should just start with WIndows 10 period? (I use things like Lightroom, Black Desert, Origin launcher, Photoshop Elements, and my internet virus protector.)

JD

Staff member
Just start with Windows 10, it has much better support for Ryzen's features. Of the applications you list, I don't think you'll have any issues. Not sure what virus protector you use, but the built-in Windows Defender is pretty solid so you might not need that anymore.

gingerbee

I second that I don't think you will have any problems. also, Windows 10 comes with windows defender and so far it works great I use it on most pc in the house and have a few with avg/avast and defender does as good a job as those programs

djbrad

+1 here, start fresh from Windows 10. I use avira free for the antivirus, works just fine.

Anidara

Just start with Windows 10, it has much better support for Ryzen's features. Of the applications you list, I don't think you'll have any issues. Not sure what virus protector you use, but the built-in Windows Defender is pretty solid so you might not need that anymore.
THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!

Anidara

I second that I don't think you will have any problems. also, Windows 10 comes with windows defender and so far it works great I use it on most pc in the house and have a few with avg/avast and defender does as good a job as those programs
Thank you also Gingerbee. Appreciate the fast responses!

MARSTG

Make a USB bootable drive with latest version, I think is 1908 and on NVME it will be less than 15 mins to install. NVME all the way.