What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Rebel Galaxy Outlaw - Releasing 13 Aug 2019

Entz

Yeah I get their comments. I just don't like exclusives. Epic knows their store is trash so the only way they get traction is forcing devs into long exclusive contracts with massive upfront payments. You can't be proclaiming your the savior of the industry and then turning around and doing something anti-consumer at the same time (long 1yr exclusives).

Oh well, its far less of an issue than micro-transaction riddled half finished crap.

Still likely won't keep me from playing.

Vittra

Their FAQ is superficial at best. Devs/Publishers sign with Epic because they often negotiate to receive a certain amount of money from Epic in case sales are poor. For a smaller dev studio this guarantees financial stability rather than living from one release to the next, but an exclusivity agreement prevents consumer choice and has caused friction between consumers and devs in all cases thus far - especially as promises previously made are often being broken in the process.

There's a lot of regular comparisons between Steam and Epic, but here are perhaps some of the lesser known ones. Keep in mind Epic is constantly making declarations and subsequently changing them, so anything below is subject to change:

- Steam eats payment processing fees for countries where alternative payment processors are being used. Epic passes those fees onto the consumer.

- We don't know if the 88/12 split applies to Epic's partners that sell keys, and the only authorized seller of exclusives is the Humble Store. I'm not sure I've actually seen an exclusive like Rebel Galaxy Outlaw actually for sale there though.

- Contrasted to the last point, developers can generate Steam keys for them to do with as they wish (sell directly, sell through 3rd party sites) and key selling sites of all kinds can compete with each other and against Steam as they wish. Third party sites may sometimes work with payment processors to reduce fees.

- If a devs game utilizes UE4 and exclusivity is signed, Epic will waive the 5% engine licensing fee, instead considering it part of their 12% split.

- Epic Games bought Easy Anti-Cheat some time ago and effectively halted their Linux development. Valve/Steam's project 'Proton' for playing Windows games on Linux has been impacted by this.

Last edited:

Lysrin

Thanks Vittra, interesting info as always.

I finally watched their "Getting Started" video and it does have some excellent info for the basics and how some of the game systems work. Plus Travis, I believe the dev doing the video, has great delivery and a voice for radio! Pretty sure he does characters and radio commercials in the game too.

Anyway, worth a watch if you're starting out:

Lysrin

Getting a lot of good reviews. I'm very pleased with the launch and they have been quick about patching things, adding in some community requests, etc.

This is worth a watch and yet another reason I really like the devs :LOL: Reading the comments The Internet really does bring out the "best" in people (read with lots of sarcasm).

To be honest, although it is likely obvious from my other posts, I am having a blast playing this game. It's a nice change from the deep time consuming other space sims I play. I love those too, but sometimes I just want something more casual with a bit of story if I want to play it at the time and enough other things to do to keep me entertained for a quick flight or for hours if I have them. This has been exactly that.

And customizing and painting your ships... that is just such a neat option. I actually had worked up a paint scheme for my starter ship that I really liked and by the time I had finished upgrading it, I wasn't sure I wanted to move up even when I got the credits to! That kind of customization makes a connection in game that I think is a nice addition.

Entz

Ah yes nothing like drawing a bunch of umm cactus 🌵 on your ship ;)

FreeKnight

Well... yeah... It is also funny how many Thomas the Train skins are showing up on NexusMods. People... 😁
That's a long standing Nexus tradition. Some of the earliest Skyrim mods replaced dragons with Thomas. There's Dark souls and Sekiro mods for Thomas too.

Twitter