What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Reboot after plugging USB device

Wurmer

The problem occurs when I am using the front panel USB port, I don't use the back one very often. I have been using this case for a while with my previous Intel rig and never had any issue of the sort. I wonder, does this problem related to my front case USB Port or my MB ? what's the solution here ? It does happen with different port in the front.

_dangtx_

Banned
maybe its time to disconnect front usb,audio etc. i usually dont connect those, as a 2$ pcb or connection can sometimes fry your mobo. doesnt happen often, but i take no chances.

encorp

Yeah; I had the same problem. It could be anything from a short in the front USB ports or their wires and connectors to statics electricity in the case.

This can short your mobo out; so don't keep "testing" it by plugging stuff in. I'd just disconnect the front usb ports and stop using them.

Wurmer

Yeah; I had the same problem. It could be anything from a short in the front USB ports or their wires and connectors to statics electricity in the case.

This can short your mobo out; so don't keep "testing" it by plugging stuff in. I'd just disconnect the front usb ports and stop using them.
That's what I'll do. but I find it odd that those ports started making trouble all of the sudden. anyways, i have plenty of ports out of the IO panel so there shouldn't be a problem.

sswilson

Staff member
Still not worth taking a chance though. The usb port is one of the few that has some real current behind it.... better to get a usb hub from out of the back of the motherboard than to take a chance.

gsc55

Wurmer,

I have the same ASUS MB and am using an Antec 900 metal gamin case. I also had the issue with plugging my iPhone into one of the front USB ports causing it to crash. I noticed that I did not have to fullly plug in the USB plug; the moment the metal from the iPhone cable touched the metal on the USB port it crashed.

So, I opened the case and move the internal USB cable to one of the other 3 spare USB ports on the MB. So far, and this is a preliminary response as I just did it, I did not get a crash when I plugged it in. So, it was either a bad port or possibly the static electricity like some have posted here.

kir_b

Search Newegg - it's a known bug!

I have exactly the same issue with my M4a89GTD Pro/USB3.

From what I'm seeing, I'd say there is no way to fix this issue, as ASUS doesn't seem to be willing to admit that the board has this rather annoying BUG!

Just search "USB" and "front" in the reviews section for the "M4a89GTD Pro/USB3" on the Newegg website, and you'll see that we aren't the only ones experiencing this issue.

Sorry, but it appears that we are out of luck. ASUS sucks on this one!

Everyone else would be wise to avoid this board and go with the gigabyte, or some other manufacturers equivalent offering.

Kirby

Last edited:

Wurmer

Well It's a bit too late for me LOL, I ended up frying one of my PCIE port before I removed all of the front panel connections. MB still working good but without Xfire possibility.

kir_b

Can you elaborite please

"I ended up frying one of my PCIE port before I removed all of the front panel connections."
Too avoid this eventuality, could you please tell me what brought this about? Should the rest of us that own this board be worried.

The reason I ask, is that we recently got a new graphics card and when we installed it, we discovered that it wouldn't run in x16 mode (with the "switch card" installed in the pcie_1 slot). The only way that the card would run, was when the graphics card was installed in pcie_2 while running in x8 mode (without the "switch card" installed in the pcie_1 slot).

Thanks for the response.

Kirby :canadianwave:

freeloader1969

Glad to see I'm not the only one experiencing this problem with that motherboard. What I did, and it's working 100% so far, is securely fasten the motherboard standoffs with a socket. I usually put the standoffs in hand tight and fasten the motherboard, never had a problem. My Asus board would instantly reboot when I plugged anything into the front USB ports on my case. Since reinstalling the motherboard (using the socket method above) I've had no problem at all now. I believe it may be a contact issue between the motherboard and case. Just my 2 cents.

Latest posts

Twitter