What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Reboot after plugging USB device

Wurmer

Hi folks,

Need your take on this, I have this MB ASUS M4A89GTD PRO USB 3. I have noticed that when plugging some USB device it crashes my computer and makes it reboot. This is something I've never seen before. Usually, USB sticks are not a problem but when plugging a camera or my Iphone or a video camera it crashes my comp. It will also, take my comp running on four cores and when it reboots it does only on three cores even from three to two. This is a bit weird. :doh:

_dangtx_

Banned
run a linux from cd and plug your device in. if same, then mobo needs rma, most probably. that or theres not sufficient power to juice it all, altough that corsair if its the one i nthere should have noissues.

ipaine

I know what this is, well at least pretty damn sure.

Believe it or not it is static electricity. Yup, I have dealt with this before and had this very issue while I had my previous case. Basically what is happening is there is a discharge as you touch the metal from the USB device to the connection itself. I have actually seen the arc it can make.

So how did I solve this before, well I just made sure to dissipate any static build up before I connected any device. So I would simply just touch my finger to that port or anything else that should be grounded and then it would be fine. It seems to only happen when it is the metal on metal contact. I have also seen this with two separate people at work and the same solution worked for them as well.

Why this is happening I don't really know, but can guess that possibly the motherboard is not grounding properly.

Edit: Course now I read your post again and think that maybe you are saying these things happen every time they are plugged in. If that is the case then combined with the less cores running then you could be looking at the board itself.

Wurmer

It doesn't happen every time but often enough...

I thought about static but this seems a bit odd that it would do it on a regular basis. I have seen static before, so much so that once when shutting down the wife's computer I fried it when a spark jumped form the tip of my finger to the on/off button of the computer ( most of the capacitor blown out).

Last edited:

Koslov

I've had this problem with a few case/motherboard. I also believe it is static electricity.

Zero82z

Banned
Does it always happen with the same port, or with every port? Are you plugging the USB devices directly into a motherboard port, or through something like a front-panel port connected to one of the motherboard's USB headers?

Squeetard

"Quote This..."
And I've seen this with a bad usb port. Especially the front of case ports that connect by wire to the mobo.

SKYMTL

HardwareCanuck Review Editor
Staff member
Yup, I have two bad USB ports on a Gigabyte H55 and it behaves exactly the same way.

encorp

Yeah be VERY careful with this. It can fry the crap out of your system heh. Bad USB ports on a case or motherboard and or static electricity can cause this.

Latest posts