What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Reboot while gaming/video, can trigger reboot by shaking case.

consid3r

Hey guys,

I have a NZXT Tempest case with a custom loop watercooling system hooked up to an i7 920 (x58 motherboard). Video card is a GTX460.

Watercooling system is not leaking as it's been running for months with no change in level in the reservoir.

As I move every couple of months, my computer gets agitated alot. I'm not sure what this has done to my case but recently, my computer tends to reboot when I'm watching videos or playing games. There are no symptoms of anything going wrong up until the moment the computer crashes and restarts. No blue screen, nothing. Just like someone pulled the plug and put it back in.

I don't think it's a driver problem since the System Event logs always just say unexpected power loss or whatever it is when the computer decides to lose power.

I know that lifting the computer from the back with sudden force can also cause my computer to reboot. I don't like to do this, but I know that this triggers the reboot because I was once trying to move my computer to get access to a wire and it caused a reboot. No, it's not a loose power cable.

The last clue that I can give is that one time, when it shut off randomly, it wouldn't turn back on. Hitting the power button started the power for everything but no POST or Beeps and the 7 segment LEDs on the motherboard wouldn't even illuminate - as though a controller had died or a signal was being grounded somewhere. After waiting about 15 minutes and trying it again, it POSTed and booted with no problem. Had me super worried.

My friend suggested that something could be shorting due to a heat-related flexing problem. I've no idea where to start. I've taken everything out and reassembled it and I still get this problem. I've cut off molex connectors which were dying (you know those ones with the mangled pins that are getting loose because you botched connecting them? yeah) and taped up the ends. I really have no clue what's causing this. It doesn't matter that I have those paper discs between the screws fixing the motherboard to the case and the motherboard itself, does it?

Anyways, that's all I have for now. Help me out if you can! Thanks guys.

sswilson

Staff member
Hey guys,

I have a NZXT Tempest case with a custom loop watercooling system hooked up to an i7 920 (x58 motherboard). Video card is a GTX460.

Watercooling system is not leaking as it's been running for months with no change in level in the reservoir.

As I move every couple of months, my computer gets agitated alot. I'm not sure what this has done to my case but recently, my computer tends to reboot when I'm watching videos or playing games. There are no symptoms of anything going wrong up until the moment the computer crashes and restarts. No blue screen, nothing. Just like someone pulled the plug and put it back in.

I don't think it's a driver problem since the System Event logs always just say unexpected power loss or whatever it is when the computer decides to lose power.

I know that lifting the computer from the back with sudden force can also cause my computer to reboot. I don't like to do this, but I know that this triggers the reboot because I was once trying to move my computer to get access to a wire and it caused a reboot. No, it's not a loose power cable.

The last clue that I can give is that one time, when it shut off randomly, it wouldn't turn back on. Hitting the power button started the power for everything but no POST or Beeps and the 7 segment LEDs on the motherboard wouldn't even illuminate - as though a controller had died or a signal was being grounded somewhere. After waiting about 15 minutes and trying it again, it POSTed and booted with no problem. Had me super worried.

My friend suggested that something could be shorting due to a heat-related flexing problem. I've no idea where to start. I've taken everything out and reassembled it and I still get this problem. I've cut off molex connectors which were dying (you know those ones with the mangled pins that are getting loose because you botched connecting them? yeah) and taped up the ends. I really have no clue what's causing this. It doesn't matter that I have those paper discs between the screws fixing the motherboard to the case and the motherboard itself, does it?

Anyways, that's all I have for now. Help me out if you can! Thanks guys.

Get a new/different power supply.

Have you built it out of the case and then tested like that to verify if the problem goes away? If it does, then that rules out an actual hardware issue.

Other than that, the only heat flexing I can see that would cause an issue would be if your vid card wasn't seating properly into the PCIe slot. Have you tried a different slot?

blaze_125

Make sure the main power cord has a tight fit where it enters the power supply.
If it's wobbly...

Post #300 :whistle:

consid3r

I will attempt to reproduce the issue out of the case, but it's not that easy with the bulk of my WC system having to come out to do it, along with my HDs.

Thing is, shaking the case is relatively safe to trying to shake my motherboard. Besides, I'm nearly 100% sure it has something to do with a grounding fault - so isolating the motherboard won't solve the issue here.

I'm basically saying the heat + the case together create this issue.

Also, under what basis would you assume its the power supply? Hmm...perhaps I'll give the power supply a shake sometime. I'm also making the assumption that the shaking of the case causes the reboot in the same manner that causes the reboot of my computer, which may not be the case.

sswilson

Staff member
I will attempt to reproduce the issue out of the case, but it's not that easy with the bulk of my WC system having to come out to do it, along with my HDs.

Thing is, shaking the case is relatively safe to trying to shake my motherboard. Besides, I'm nearly 100% sure it has something to do with a grounding fault - so isolating the motherboard won't solve the issue here.

I'm basically saying the heat + the case together create this issue.

Also, under what basis would you assume its the power supply? Hmm...perhaps I'll give the power supply a shake sometime. I'm also making the assumption that the shaking of the case causes the reboot in the same manner that causes the reboot of my computer, which may not be the case.

Under the assumption that you've got open ends on your cables now that you've cut off the molex connectors. Unless you've individually shielded each wire in the cable with something better than electrical tape, I'd guess that something is shorting out.

NyteOwl

It is likely a grounding problem. And unless all your drives are SSD's I'd really avoid shaking the case while they're powered up :)

BryceBooth

It is usually not recommended shaking your computer, but I understand your frustration. After cutting the molex connectors off, did you tape the wires individually with electrical tape?
Assuming you have shook the case since checking your power connections, remove both side panels, make sure all connectors are snug on your motherboard, and all peripherals. Try re-seating your memory, and add-in cards. If all else fails, if you have access to a spare PSU, try using that in place of what you have to rule that out. Another possible problem could have to do with your home's wiring, try moving your computer to a different room and try to recreate the crash, without shaking it. A quality surge-protector, or UPS can work wonders in that area.

Latest posts