What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Recommend a 3D printer for compy things?

CMetaphor

Quadfather
Tried a WTB thread in a few different places, but the only person that responded to my request for a commission asked almost as much as a 3D printer purchase. Aka.. too damn expensive.

So now I'm wondering about purchasing a 3D printer myself. I've been thinking about it, and realize that there have been many, many times when I could've used custom made parts for complex builds. Custom fan mounts, brackets to move hardware different locations, clips to hold wires aside, etc etc and more etc.

So I'm looking for recommendations on a basic/beginner 3D printer that could cover some of these bases. Printer area minimum would need to be 120x120x120, but larger than that is fine too if the price is similar.

Budget (assuming I can sell a couple of things in the next couple of weeks): $300 CAD, give or take depending on recommendations, but definitely under $500 CAD...

Thanks in advance to all, lemme know if additional information is required.

sswilson

Staff member
On a budget, it seems like the ender 3 line is the way to go. I got mine during a lightning deal for $240 but they're typically somewhere around $300.

That said... check your PMs......... ;)

JD

Staff member
but the only person that responded to my request for a commission asked almost as much as a 3D printer purchase
If it was similar to your WTB thread here, what you're asking for is somebody to make you a custom model, or at least modify an existing one. Making a 3D model requires some level of skill and expertise, especially when you want precise dimensions. I'm sure people would be willing to print a ready-to-go model for you with minimal cost, I think even library's or "maker" spaces offer 3D printers to do that.

I got mine during a lightning deal for $240 but they're typically somewhere around $300.
...but how much more have you put into it ;)

It seems most people have a whole list of upgrades they recommend which appear to make tangible improvements to print quality and ease-of-use.

sswilson

Staff member
...but how much more have you put into it ;)

Hardware wise, I think the only "almost required" upgrade is the bed springs and those are around $10, but even those aren't absolutely required. My only other big hardware purchase is the RPi I grabbed and while it's convenient, it's not an absolute requirement, and it's something that's not unique to the ender 3.

Price wise.... there's a fairly large gap between what an ender 3 costs and what a better printer costs (pretty much at least double).

edit: Oh, and calipers... I'd argue those are an absolute necessity for calibration. The rest of the tools I purchased were more along the lines of "nice to have", and again the calipers aren't unique to the ender 3 line.

Entz

If it was similar to your WTB thread here, what you're asking for is somebody to make you a custom model, or at least modify an existing one. Making a 3D model requires some level of skill and expertise, especially when you want precise dimensions. I'm sure people would be willing to print a ready-to-go model for you with minimal cost, I think even library's or "maker" spaces offer 3D printers to do that.
Basically this. CAD guys are like lawyers :D

To add to the above companies like https://www.ninjaprototype.com/ are 25$ flat shipped and decently priced (Looking at around 40$ shipped is my guess) but to get started with any of the online guys you need the STL of course.

+1 to an Ender 3 it is going to be your best bet if you want to stay under 500$ and get all the other stuff you need (filament, calipers, etc)

CMetaphor

Quadfather
I'll look into those school options, and the ninja one Actually seems well priced and a decent option if I just want the one part made.

Can I get some opinions about some of these used 3D printer options?
- mod-t 3D printer (white clear cube) $250 used.
- micromake L2 - $220 used
- Anet A8 - $300 used
- Kissel delta $350 used
How do the above compare to the Endee 3?

Thanks again. Big subject, lots to read. But I kinda... Like it? I did some CAD work years and years ago and liked it then, and as I mentioned, I really enjoy making weird parts, builds, PCs, etc, so this kind of addition to my workshop might actually be very useful

Entz

The only one I am familiar with the is Anet A8 and it is a very good printer that requires a lot of tweaking (A LOT). Depends on what it was done to it. It was the darling before the Ender 3 IMO. That price is extremely high though, they were around 250$ new* and under 300$ gets you a brand new in box Ender 3 easily and way less hassle.

*Edit: Still are $195 USD shipped from gearbest, so around 260 Canadian to your door. Gonna need to print a lot of stuff for it, so plan on a roll just for that. 300 used is hella high unless they modded the frig out of it ($175 max imo).

Last edited:

Entz

Thanks again. Big subject, lots to read. But I kinda... Like it? I did some CAD work years and years ago and liked it then, and as I mentioned, I really enjoy making weird parts, builds, PCs, etc, so this kind of addition to my workshop might actually be very useful
If your up to it, I would grab Fusion 360 (or some other package) and just design it and see what it costs to print. That would save a crap load of money and still be fun. If your not going to print often its a waste of 300

SugarJ

Staff member
Folding Team

Twitter