What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Recommend a 3D printer for compy things?

SugarJ

Staff member
Folding Team
If your up to it, I would grab Fusion 360 (or some other package) and just design it and see what it costs to print. That would save a crap load of money and still be fun. If your not going to print often its a waste of 300

This. Fusion 360 is free for personal use. Or try Tinkercad to make your part out of geometric shapes (cubes, cylinders, pyramids, hexagons, etc.) It's very easy to use for making simple parts.

CMetaphor

Quadfather
This. Fusion 360 is free for personal use. Or try Tinkercad to make your part out of geometric shapes (cubes, cylinders, pyramids, hexagons, etc.) It's very easy to use for making simple parts.

I'll look into both. Been a bad few days recently so didn't yet do the mockup for the dimensions... Just can't make myself do things in this state

CMetaphor

Quadfather
So is there no better option, used or new, than the Ender 3? Still not sure I'm going to go this route, but my other thread asking for someone with their own printer to make a part why about as well as most of my requests do around here...

lcdguy

Folding Team
I would say the ender 3 is good value for the money, but does require some tinkering and upgraded parts to get it dialed in. I have also heard good things about the prusa mini (upgraded from a ender 3 to a mk3 last year) as well but at 349 usd plus shipping and what not is likely over your budget.

However if you just looking to get the odd part printed I believe there are 3d printing services. As well you could look to see if there are any maker spaces in your area. I know here some of the libraries have 3d printers you can book time.on.

Last edited:

CMetaphor

Quadfather
What did you need printed? Where are you at?

Sorry I never replied back, this whole idea kinda went on pause for a while since other things (like health, mental state) kinda got worse since then.

I'm going to install Fusion 360 soon and try to design the single most important part I'll need to complete my "Delta" (Ryzen ITX gamer). I've got an okay-ish fan shroud from Enermax that sorta does the job I want, but it's still nowhere near what I was hoping to get from a 3D printed part. So, now that I at least have a PC that posts, a finalized cooling setup AND (will someone cheer?) a good set of calipers, I'm going to measure Everything and start trying to design a real fan shroud.

Fingers crossed. This idea, I will not let die; I like the idea of modding my PCs even further with 3D printed parts to much to do so.

Twitter