What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Recommend a mesh network system?

CMetaphor

Quadfather
Hi all, been reading reviews and looking around to fix my houses wifi. It's not a big house, but the main floor is supported by old iron train rails, so the signal loss is pretty dramatic.

In short, I'm looking for an affordable PoE mesh network system, probably three nodes max (since I can't think of balanced way to get around those iron beams and still cover everything evenly) and .11ac minimum. If possible, one where the mesh communication uses a third frequency also seems like a pretty good idea, since there is a lot of nearby houses with their own networks and i think this feature would help the overall performance.

As always, any and all advice would be helpful. I know I haven't been back and active for very long, but I do greatly appreciate the help and try to help others when possible too. Thanks all

Mr. Friendly

I give a shout out to Ubiquiti's UniFi or their consumer AmpliFi series. I have rarely seen anything good said about Netgear's mesh systems.

Izerous

At home I'm still using google mesh with good results. My boss used eero and netgear and disliked both and moved to Ubiquiti and has been happy since.

Google's defineitly doesn't have some of the more advanced admin features but I'm a programmer not network admin and for personal use I just wanted a wireless that worked and covered the house/garage/yard

Prickly007

What about the Ubiquiti Dream Machine? I posted my early thoughts here. Two weeks later, still not a single complaint about the wifi and we're surrounded by networks.* But the UDM has an WIFI AI that scans our network to determine the best and optimum channel configuration based on traffic, deployment size, density and client factors. It's made a few changes over the last week or so.

* TX Power is currently 23 (2Ghz) and 26 (5Ghz)... still need to Google what this means. lol

I thought we could need additional access points, but a single UDM covers the entire main floor, in a -40ish dBm signal. Upstairs, the 2.4Ghz wifi is rock solid, but the 5Ghz signal is weak-ish.

The UDM can be as simple or complex as you want. I've gone done a deep, deep rabbit hole. :geek:

I looked at a mesh solution, but there was something about them I did not like, backend something or other?????

CMetaphor

Quadfather
The ubiquiti stuff is like 500 or more, that's pretty expensive... Ill look into the Google stuff some more. Any other recommendations? D-Link covr?

Prickly007

The ubiquiti stuff is like 500 or more, that's pretty expensive...
There is no escaping the fact that quality networking gear is expensive. When I was in your position a month or so ago, an old post by Sagath (?????) asked, paraphrasing here, do you want a rock solid network or not. We did; on the upside, the UDM cost a fraction of what my 1080 Ti did; presumably, it will last a lot longer too.

nToxik

Does mesh add latency? It's it kind of the same as adding an AP, but just a lot more AP's? Does each acces point get hardwired?

Cptn Vortex

The ubiquiti stuff is like 500 or more, that's pretty expensive... Ill look into the Google stuff some more. Any other recommendations? D-Link covr?
How many floors? All you'd probably need is QTY 2 x NanoHD's. The controller software is free.

Latest posts

Twitter