What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Recommend a mesh network system?

CMetaphor

Quadfather
Hang on. Ubiq stuff *requires* a PC of some sort running in the background 24/7?

Instant deal breaker. I'll just find a couple of PoE APs and forget this whole idea. Ugh.

Sagath

Staff member
Hang on. Ubiq stuff *requires* a PC of some sort running in the background 24/7?

Instant deal breaker. I'll just find a couple of PoE APs and forget this whole idea. Ugh.
This is not the case. If you want to use full capabilities it does, but they work just fine without a controller.

JD

Staff member
To me it's the main selling point to have all the statistics and logs, so I would always suggest running it 24/7, but you don't have to. You'll need to bring it up to update the firmware, change configuration, etc. If you want to use guest/hotspot portal, then it has to be running whenever you have guests over that need to login. The Radio AI and auto-optimization aspects need it to be pretty much always running too as it relies on that collected data.

Izerous

There are PoE splitters that you can run if you want to go with non-native PoE nodes, but then that also increases your hardware cost.

Cptn Vortex

No, not at all. Once the configs are set you can turn off the controller software. Just when you want to make changes, start up the controller software again on the same network. They sell a little "CloudKey" stick that is handy if you want to make changes say, when you're not at home, but it's definitely not a requirement.

Latest posts

Twitter