What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Recommend budget CPU for light gaming

biggyk

I have an old Phenom 2 system that I would like to upgrade that currently has ddr3 8gig ram and I just threw in my old gtx770. Im looking to upgrade the cpu and motherboard for some light gaming. Its a system im going to keep at my gfs house when I dont wish to converse with her :rofl:

As this is not my main system, im open to both amd and intel. Im trying to spend the least possible. The only games I would probably play on it would be CSGO, Rocket League, Path of Exile.

FBRMustang

cheapest would try to find an intel 3 or 4th gen chip/mobo combo and keep the ddr3 memory. Other than that pick any modern cpu, core I3 or zen but you'll have to upgrade to ddr4 which at the moment aint cheap.

MARSTG

I would say leave it as it is now, if it has a X4 Phenom. And maybe add 4 more GB of RAM. Or you could rip the internals of a corporate machine with an i5-2400 and play it like that. Be aware of the proprietary power connectors at the conversion and buy the necessary power adapter cable to upgrade the PSU.
This is for Lenovo SFF systems, 20 pin atx psu to 14 pin Lenovo psu connector on the mobo https://www.amazon.ca/8-Inch-24-Pin-14-Pin-Supply-Adapter/dp/B072JXVMQB/ref=pd_cp_23_1?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=NJ8R81XVWKT8QV4FQ66J
And this is for the HP systems like the Elite 8300 Minitower
https://www.amazon.com/24-Pin-6-Pin-Power-Adapter-Workstation/dp/B01NAHMULC/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_147_t_0?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=W7SA94SVKY6J5M5DVN48

Last edited:

CMetaphor

Quadfather
What about an APU? For that kind of gaming it might just be enough. There's even a couple of forum members selling some decent ones at the moment.

biggyk

What about an APU? For that kind of gaming it might just be enough. There's even a couple of forum members selling some decent ones at the moment.
I wanted to make use of my 770 otherwise it would just sit.

Use it as is, or find a used i5/i7 cpu/MOB for cheap..2400/2500k/2600/3xxx/etc
I noticed i5 2500k are going for $50 on ebay.

Years ago when this was my main system, the phenom was overclocked so maybe il buy another cooler see how that works.

Last edited:

sswilson

Staff member

I noticed i5 2500k are going for $50 on ebay.

Years ago when this was my main system, the phenom was overclocked so maybe il buy another cooler see how that works.

Be very leery of purchasing an orphaned LGA 1155 processor unless you've got your hands on a functioning motherboard. The reason they're so inexpensive on ebay is that you can't find motherboards for them.

CMetaphor

Quadfather

Regardless, the "old" platforms of AMD are always cheap and cost effective. And considering Boxing day is around the corner... You could probably land a nice quad- or hex-core for very cheap with a matching motherboard of course.

Bond007

It would be fine, but I doubt it would be much of a change from his Phenom II.

Latest posts