What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Recommend me a SSD plz

Delavan

Doorules,

I'd let our resident expert, AKG, comment on the C300's capabilities. It seems like a nice SSD when you use Win7 with TRIM and you don't recreate the "saturating" tasks that ANAND from ANANDTECH made the C300 go thru...

The SSD Diaries: Crucial's RealSSD C300 - AnandTech :: Your Source for Hardware Analysis and News

Quote from ANAND's article;
Ultimately that’s what bothers me about the C300. In terms of pure performance, in many areas, it’s the drive to beat. The 256GB version performs admirably regardless of workload, and even the 128GB drive is pretty fast. But its performance drop over time just isn’t indicative of a next generation controller. I want to see less of a drop from peak to worst case scenario performance. The larger that hit is, the more write amplification is going on. TRIM fixes much of this but it really depends on the workload. I'd say most desktop users should be fine.

Anyway, I'm no expert.
I find that my Vertex 120GB (Indilinx Barefoot) is as fast as my Father's Vertex 2 60GB (sandforce)...

I think that the whole "benchmark results" is sometimes misleading when it comes to SSDs..YMMV...

AkG

The C300 is indeed very fast. But for OS environments the SF drives are faster. Sequential file speed is all but useless a benchmark to use for a OS drive. It is a holdover from the HDD days where it was a quick and dirty way of comparing to hard drives two see which was "faster". Look at the low end numbers to get a better "quick n dirty" comparison.

On the low end the C300 is usually in the 70-80s range. The SFs are usually in the 80-90 range.
In the real world...I doubt you would notice the difference as both are FAST. But I would still take the SF as it is faster and for that odd time when it DOES matter...the extra speed will come in handy. ;)

TBH I wouldnt take EITHER controller based SSD for a non TRIM environment. They both get degraded way to fast and are not great at getting OUT of it.

Delavan

TBH I wouldnt take EITHER controller based SSD for a non TRIM environment. They both get degraded way to fast and are not great at getting OUT of it.

I don't mean to hijack, but:
I might get a SSD boot drive for my laptop, running Vista 64 for now.
The laptop is all AMD-based (both CPU, chipset and GFX..)
-Dualcore ZM-82
-780-series chipset

So I have to go either Indilinx Barefoot (good all around) or Jmicron right (aggressive ITGC)?

It's kinda sad, but that AMD chipset is a deal-breaker for SSD use right?

AkG

Basically, yes. To be 100% safe get a cheap Vertex 1 or other Indi ssd and enjoy. Its not like the older ones are "OMFG slow" or anything. Its just the newer drives have set the bar EXTREMELY high...and it looks like next year the bar will be set even higher. AMD needs to get their arse in gear as this is unacceptable.

Delavan

OCZ's pricing is the most aggressive out there IMHO, except for the Kingston SSDnow 64GB'ers...

Too bad OCZ is selling all Vertex 2s for the same price or cheaper than Vertex 1s...

botat29

The 120 Phoenix is just another crippled SF drive. Nothing special as it also just uses the std mid teir nand. Unlike how the 100GB version did it (for at least a while anyways)

I must miss something here, because you recommend me a G.Skill Phoenix Pro instead of a Corsair because it’s supposed to not be a crippled SF.

rjbarker

Well, the OCZ Vertex II was rated 7.9 of 7.9 in Windows rating. The Kingston was 7.4 and the Agility was 7.3.

Take the Windows rating with a grain of salt, as even the 980x and 1866 tri channel mem. only rate 7.7

Yep....my Intel G2 gets a whopping 7.6 hahahahaha ;)

WindowsExp.jpg

AkG

I must miss something here, because you recommend me a G.Skill Phoenix Pro instead of a Corsair because it’s supposed to not be a crippled SF.

The PRO model is a more recent addition that is down right odd. Gskill recently paid for the custom firmware for that model and that model only. So the "Phoenix PRO" line is NOW the same as the Vertex 2. Kinda confusing ain't it...and to make things even WORSE when it first came out it didnt have the full speed firmware (or so I have heard, might just be a rumor). When I made that recommendation it was based on the information I had...which was it was just another typical SF crippled drive.

This is why SF needs a good smack in the back of the head as screwing with firmware like this is NOT helping SSDs get mainstream acceptance. :sad:

Latest posts