What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Recommend me: LTE modem emergencies

CMetaphor

Quadfather
What kind of ups? The pfsense router, modem, and anything else connected to it isn't going to last long unless you have a back gas powered genset connected to your house to auto start on power failure.
I've currently got a 500va UPS since the pfsense router PC is a supermicro Atom-based itx server board, but with this upgrade I'd swap in a bigger one, probably 900-1500va. Should last at least an hour or two running the pfsense box, and poe powering the LTE modem.

I should mention though that with a full power failure I'm not expecting it to last days or anything. Internet loss and power loss are two separate things fairly often where I live, so hopefully I'm okay-covered for the former and will be super solid for the latter.

clshades

I've currently got a 500va UPS since the pfsense router PC is a supermicro Atom-based itx server board, but with this upgrade I'd swap in a bigger one, probably 900-1500va. Should last at least an hour or two running the pfsense box, and poe powering the LTE modem.

I should mention though that with a full power failure I'm not expecting it to last days or anything. Internet loss and power loss are two separate things fairly often where I live, so hopefully I'm okay-covered for the former and will be super solid for the latter.
Ok but, if the power goes out to what end do you need a back up LTE modem? Anything connected.to the network still needs power. I only ask because one of the properties I look after paid 6k for their UPS system so the door codes work to get in if the power goes out. And that's ALL it does.

CMetaphor

Quadfather
The alarm system was 6k?? Howwww haha. My system is 6 zones with two doors and a smoke alarm and it all runs off of one 12v 12ah battery that lasts like 8+ hours.

Obviously after X amount of time everything will get low on UPS power and turn off, but I do have 6-7 UPSes in my house for various things. They and the LTE backup are really meant for the power and or internet failures that last <4 hours, which is by far the most common situation I get. For ice storms where power goes down for 4-5+ days obviously I won't be covered, but for everything else I should be covered, no?

JD

Staff member
I'm still surprised your Internet goes down though, since most ISPs provide VOIP services, I thought they had to have all their equipment on generator power. If cables are getting cut that often, that's some bad luck :(

Have you contacted your alarm company to see if they have a newer model that has built-in LTE backup? Or is the goal to have your whole house remain connected?

I would think you need to pay for a 2nd line to get a SIM card for this LTE modem, have you checked how much that'll cost you a month?

clshades

The alarm system was 6k?? Howwww haha. My system is 6 zones with two doors and a smoke alarm and it all runs off of one 12v 12ah battery that lasts like 8+ hours.

Obviously after X amount of time everything will get low on UPS power and turn off, but I do have 6-7 UPSes in my house for various things. They and the LTE backup are really meant for the power and or internet failures that last <4 hours, which is by far the most common situation I get. For ice storms where power goes down for 4-5+ days obviously I won't be covered, but for everything else I should be covered, no?
Their security system cost far more than 6k. They paid 6k for the ups system.

CMetaphor

Quadfather
Their security system cost far more than 6k. They paid 6k for the ups system.
Must be like a Tesla power wall (if it even exists in Canada yet) or equivalent whole-home battery system made to last days at thousands of watts.

Like I said, I'm just looking for redundancy for a few hours for the 90% of power and or internet failures I get here.

Back On Topic: I really can't seem to find a better alternative than the one I linked earlier. There is an Ubiquiti one but that requires a full Ubiquiti joke system as well. Any other options? Again, this is supposed to be 100% automatic and standalone, so cell phone tether is out (cause I tend to keep my cell on me, which won't necessarily be home).

gingerbee

just wondering if it is mainly when you have a power outage, if so pick up a 1200/1500 generator as I have backup power for basic stuff like the internet. I have a ups on my main router which keeps the wifi going but only for max 4 hrs, hence why I am considering the battery below for a couple of days power.

or build your own battery backup with something like this, it's what I have been thinking about for a long time, sorry not trying to throw you off topic again.

but I am not sure if it's just your internet going down or power related if so in my house we just tether with our phones and they don't get hot at all, that's a crapple/samsh1t problem that has been around for many years now amongst other things that cause them to run hot and burn through their batteries.

good luck.

CMetaphor

Quadfather
Again, the failover has to be 100% automatic so I can still connect to my home when I'm out, even during power failures and/or net drops. So no cellphone tethering for me 🤷‍♂️