What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Recommend Router for my home AP

JD

Staff member
I get pretty similar speeds out of my AC-M, AC-LR and nanoHD, but since I have 3 AP's, none of them ever have a large client count. Plus all my devices are only 2x2 at the most (867Mbps).

I think the AC-LR would be fine for most households with it's unique antenna design to help mobile devices communicate better.

Coach

I have played with a UAP-AC-Lite and LR. Again I am a noob but I like them! I like the controller!

question: I use many wifi cameras. I see the usage on the AP is kinda high, to the point where the controller thinks there may be an issue. I take it I need to try an AP with MU MIMO???? what about SU MIMO?

Thanks in advance :)

JD

Staff member
I use many wifi cameras. I see the usage on the AP is kinda high
Are these constantly recording? At what bitrate? What WiFi standard (b/g/n/ac)? How many is many?

You'd definitely want MU (multi-user) not SU (single-user) if you're going to upgrade, though AC is still limited to 4 users at once. AX bumps it up to 8.

If you have an AC-Lite and AC-LR, I'd say dedicate one to just your cameras on a separate SSID and then use the other AP for all your other devices.

However if your cameras are B/G, then they might be part of the issue too. Hopefully they're at least N.

supaflyx3

MuMIMO wouldn't help with wifi cameras, MuMIMO can send multiple streams simultaneously, but cannot receive multiple streams at once. Afaik clients would also need to support MuMIMO, which cheap cameras would not.

JD

Staff member
I think MU-MIMO would still potentially help alleviate some congestion since I'd imagine you have a mix of devices.

I'd still say put your cameras on a single AP so at least it stays isolated.

Coach

Are these constantly recording? At what bitrate? What WiFi standard (b/g/n/ac)? How many is many?

You'd definitely want MU (multi-user) not SU (single-user) if you're going to upgrade, though AC is still limited to 4 users at once. AX bumps it up to 8.

If you have an AC-Lite and AC-LR, I'd say dedicate one to just your cameras on a separate SSID and then use the other AP for all your other devices.

However if your cameras are B/G, then they might be part of the issue too. Hopefully they're at least N.

Sorry JD I missed this post and have not responded sooner!!

I have cheap IP cams from china. In and around my house I have a total of 5 cams connected via wireless G wifi. Some are using a bitrate of 2048 and some less than that, 898. These cams record for 8 hours every night.

Aside from IP cameras I have two wireless printers, one laptop and 2 cell phones.

Latest posts