What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

RECOMMENDATION: Audio system

clshades

USB speaker things used to give feedback but it's probably the best choice now. Dimitry does a nice video on this and plays back the feed back differences between all options. I'm just using a simple USB connection with the logitech pro's. Far better sound than the mobo.

JD

Staff member
Kanto and Audio Engine are popular choices too I think. At the more affordable end, Edifier. They all offer bookshelf-size speakers with optional subwoofers.

Skippman

Kanto and Audio Engine are popular choices too I think. At the more affordable end, Edifier. They all offer bookshelf-size speakers with optional subwoofers.

I had a set of Audio Engine 3's. I found them to be EXTREMELY over rated. Bought them for $200, sold them about a month later. While they did produce very accurate sound, there was no presence to them, which I suppose is really the point. They're more studio monitors than listening speakers and are tuned to be completely flat.

I'd love to hear a set of the Kanto's in person. Are they also monitors?

JD

Staff member
If you didn't have a subwoofer, then yes, I would say basically any of these small bookshelves are going to lack "presence" as the drivers are simply too small to have any significant low end.

I run PSB Alpha P3's with an Alpha S8 sub for my PC setup, the P3's alone are okay for 4" drivers, but it really needs the sub.

Skippman

If you didn't have a subwoofer, then yes, I would say basically any of these small bookshelves are going to lack "presence" as the drivers are simply too small to have any significant low end.

I run PSB Alpha P3's with an Alpha S8 sub for my PC setup, the P3's alone are okay for 4" drivers, but it really needs the sub.

Agreed about the subwoofer comment. I may have misspoke and should have said "depth." It all sounded extremely flat and clinical to me.

For my tastes I love late 80's/early 90's Boston Acoustic, KEF, Totem, and several other "warm" brands of speakers. I have a set of Mirage OmniSat 2's I've been debating hooking up to my PC but that would mean needing an external amp.

@JD what are you using to drive your P3's?

JD

Staff member
@JD what are you using to drive your P3's?
Old AVR from my home theatre... Sony STR-DN1050. It stands upright on my desk off to the side though, so it doesn't take up a ton of space. I do have 5.1 setup with a cheap Klipsch C20 center and some old Klipsch ProMedia Ultra 5.1 surrounds.

I've always been on the search for a small amp with LFE output, but it seems really only to be the NAD D3020 or 3045 which are a bit pricey.

Skippman

I will say NAD gear just works. A buddy and fellow home theater junkie has a NAD distributed audio system in his house and it's pretty sweet.

lowfat

Staff member
I have an NAD D 3020. Although I don't use a sub there is no way to control sub volume AFAICT. Plus the remote and capacitive touch controls are garbage. The volume range is right messed up too. Can't hear anything for 0-50 of the range, then 50-60% is reasonable, then excessively loud. :eek:

But it is pretty much the only class D desktop amp, so way more efficient than an A/AB. And it sounds great. I use a Harmony to control it now which makes it so much more usable.

JD

Staff member
I have an NAD D 3020.
V2 or the original? And sub volume I don't think really exists, usually you adjust on the sub itself? Or do you mean there's no crossover settings?

The NAD 3045 seems a little more interesting (though double the price) since it's a USB DAC as well.