What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Recommendation for Powered USB 3.2 hub?

Skippman

In an effort to clear up some desk space, reduce clutter, and improve my wiring I've decided that rather than running a crap ton of extensions from my desk back to my PC (about 3 meters away) I want to get a USB hub.

Devices Being Connected
  • Arctis Pro Wireless Headset
  • Logitech G513 Carbon Keyboard (2 USB Ports)
  • Logitech G602 Mouse USB Dongle
  • External BluRay Burner/Reader
  • Monitor USB Hub
I'm looking for something powered if at all possible as I worry about maxing out the current draw on a single USB port.

lowfat

Staff member
When I was looking in to a 10Gbps USB hub a few months I was rather disappointed. The only ones I found that used a decent chipset were Startech and Pluggable. Which start @ like $100. After having my first 10Gbps hub die I went w/ the Startech HB31C2A1CGS, which wouldn't even have enough ports for you.

I don't think any of those devices would actually benefit from USB3 nevertheless 10Gbps, if you don't need 10Gbps then there are tons of cheaper alternatives.

Skippman

Yeah, I just realized that even the BluRay drive won't saturate that bus. Anker has a 7 port powered USB 3.0 hub that I think will meet my needs.

Sagath

Staff member
Folding Team

Skippman

Do either of you use a wireless mouse plugged into this hub? Just curious if there's any kind of noticeable input lag. Its not a deal breaker, just curiosity.

crazyea

I was looking for a hub as well, it the TP-link suitable for portable drives? Possibly two running at the same time?

Lysrin

i recommend this as well. Using it at work for almost three years, and have a second at home. Great hub.

I actually think I recommended it to @Lysrin the last time this question was asked, now that I think about it ;)

You are correct @Sagath . It was you that recommended it to me. Been working great ever since. Thanked you then, thank you again ;)

Do either of you use a wireless mouse plugged into this hub? Just curious if there's any kind of noticeable input lag. Its not a deal breaker, just curiosity.

I have my wireless Logitech plugged in. Works perfectly fine. I haven't noticed any different between this and a port on the PC. I'm not playing competitive FPS games or anything but no issue with lag in anything I do.

I was looking for a hub as well, it the TP-link suitable for portable drives? Possibly two running at the same time?

I've certainly used it with USB thumb drives and portable drive enclosures. No issues. I can't say I have run two actively at the same time...? Had two plugged in at the same time but not both copying files at the same time, for example. Don't see why that would be an issue, but can't comment from personal experience.