What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Recommendations for onboard vid / 3 monitor Motherboard

sswilson

Staff member
Looking for a budget/mid-range S775 motherboard with on-board video which would allow for a 3 monitor set-up using a 3450 vid card.

Gaming is obviously not on the radar for this build ATM, but must support at least Q6600, and preferably be able to support 45nm chips at a later date.

Main goal is digital audio processing from an external box so I might actually be convinced that one of the new spider platform combos might be in order.

Suggestions?

CMetaphor

Quadfather
Spider platform with a 775 CPU? Sorry, don't think that exists (or ever will?). Spider = AM2/AM2+ and whatever else comes after. If you DO go for a AM2 system though, get a 780G motherboard to go with that 3450, you'll be able to use 4 monitors, including an HDTV ready one on the motherboard itself.

Edit: Don't forget Hybrid Crossfire with that 3450 too!!!

sswilson

Staff member
Spider platform with a 775 CPU? Sorry, don't think that exists (or ever will?). Spider = AM2/AM2+ and whatever else comes after. If you DO go for a AM2 system though, get a 780G motherboard to go with that 3450, you'll be able to use 4 monitors, including an HDTV ready one on the motherboard itself.

Edit: Don't forget Hybrid Crossfire with that 3450 too!!!
Heh :) , that's why I said I might be convinced to go with a spider platform... I'm aware that it's not S775.

Hybrid is out of the question at the moment as the person isn't interested in running vista.

CMetaphor

Quadfather
Still might be nice to have a system with 2x HDMI outs OR 4x regular outs (vga/dvi). Could be a good selling point. The 780G boards are all around or under $100 too

sswilson

Staff member
It's also delivering quad core multi-tasking abilities at about $50 less than an intel system which allowed me to bump up to a 512 3650.

sswilson

Staff member
Any suggestions on a S775 board?

Since the main goal is processing, I'm not convinced giving up 20 - 30% power compared to the Q6600 is the way to go........

The AMD/ATI combo does seem at first glance the way to go for easy 3 monitor use, but does anybody have experience with a S775 intel or nvidia onboard vid chipset that allows easy 3 monitor setups?

Latest posts

Twitter