What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Recommended parts for a Content Creator PC?

CMetaphor

Quadfather
So, I might be really ambitious and just "go for it" soon... I'm going to try to make a life for myself in my home... Long story short: I highly doubt I'll ever be able to work full-time again, and my mental issues mean I'm less inclined than ever to go out often.

So, a content creator PC. I've got plenty of parts from less-used PCs I can take from, just need to know what would be the best option.

Probably going to be either livestreaming or recording 1080p camera and someday 4k from a secondary source. Either using a webcam or DSLR, and a PCIe capture card for the secondary source recording.

So, given that info:
1- Do I need cores? Lots of cores? Frequency? --- I can retask Behemoth to this (64cores @ 2.8ghz... soon? 🤘) , Use a 16-24core dual G34 @ 2.1-2.4ghz, or lastly retask my old gamer (FX-8530 @4.xghz).

2- Similar to above, but for storage of videos, possibly raw, possibly captured in realtime: SSD? Nvme/PCIe? Record to one of those then transfer to a small HDD raid for sale keeping during editing? Or just use the raid for saving and do all editing on something fast.

3- Ram? How much? Don't think any system I have has less than 8gb, most are 16gb+, but since I don't have experience with this stuff perhaps more is required?

4- Lastly, I'll take any or all feedback and advice about this... In many ways this is a big departure from anything I've done in many years, but I really do need to do SOMETHING with my life... So yeah, reply away?

Thanks as always everyone. 👍

clshades

You don't need lots of cores for a streaming/recording computer. If you were to build a twitch streaming PC, for example, an Intel 9600 with 8 gig ram, 1060 vid card is plenty.

For media creation and depending on the software, it's either video card intensive, or cpu intensive, or a combination of the two for making the videos for youtube or twitch.

Video capture is what's going to cost you if you want 4k content. Last I looked, it was upwards of 500 beans for one that can bounce between PC and console.

Everything above would be related to steaming games. If you are doing something else that isn't hogging system resources then whatever you're using is fine.

Last edited:

CMetaphor

Quadfather
I'm still not sure about streaming vs recording tbh. The whole idea still seems more surreal than real.
But regardless, are cores not needed for encoding? When live streaming, wouldn't a multi-threaded encoder be needed to get the video raw streams processed, along with audio sources, into one smooth 1080p output? I don't know, that's why I'm asking.

I am looking at grabbing an Elgato HD60 for the capture purpose, which does do [email protected] think. Its just the software for recording and/or streaming I'm not yet familiar with (I have used things like handbrake before I know that type of SW *does* like having 16+ cores and CUDA, etc).

Sagath

Staff member
Folding Team
Modern nvidia GPU's can offload the encoding easily to a dedicated portion of the GPU, with barely any FPS hit. Currently, NVENC does [email protected]@6mbps without a hitch back to the...900 series? I think.

AV1 is the 'next' step, which will allow 1440p @ 8mbps. No GPU's on the market have a hardware encoder for it. 3000's have a hardware decoder for it.

Now, if you're encoding it via CPU, thats different, but even then its not that hard for a modern CPU. Utilizes about 4 cores, or so Twitch recommends.

Capture cards seem like an expensive solution to just having a PC do the work. Modern PC's and nVidia encoding kinda puts them to bed...but maybe I'm not their target audience? I think if you're recording external devices (xbox, etc) then they have more use, but again thats outside my realm of knowledge.

Recording vs Streaming is fundamentally the same. OBS, XSplit, Twitch Studio, they all allow recording of the stream with the push of a button after assigning a save location.

I'm new to this myself and only been researching and streaming a couple weeks so I could be wrong on some of these things, just where my knowledge is after I asked a lot of the same questions here, and got zero answers ;)

clshades

I've tried recording and streaming while I play on the same PC... it's terrible. Lots of lag and frame drop. The pro streamers have a dedicated stream server with a capture card. Streaming from a capture card to the stream server is the best option.

1st couple images explain it pretty well.

Like you Sagath I've done lots of digging and it took me a while to get to Gaming computer to capture card to stream server. OBS and twitch take a surprising amount of horse power away from the gaming rig. I was getting micro stutters etc. A good APU system would be ideal for this imo. Small form factor.

GeezerGamer

So, I might be really ambitious and just "go for it" soon... I'm going to try to make a life for myself in my home... Long story short: I highly doubt I'll ever be able to work full-time again, and my mental issues mean I'm less inclined than ever to go out often.

So, a content creator PC. I've got plenty of parts from less-used PCs I can take from, just need to know what would be the best option.

Probably going to be either livestreaming or recording 1080p camera and someday 4k from a secondary source. Either using a webcam or DSLR, and a PCIe capture card for the secondary source recording.

So, given that info:
1- Do I need cores? Lots of cores? Frequency? --- I can retask Behemoth to this (64cores @ 2.8ghz... soon? 🤘) , Use a 16-24core dual G34 @ 2.1-2.4ghz, or lastly retask my old gamer (FX-8530 @4.xghz).

2- Similar to above, but for storage of videos, possibly raw, possibly captured in realtime: SSD? Nvme/PCIe? Record to one of those then transfer to a small HDD raid for sale keeping during editing? Or just use the raid for saving and do all editing on something fast.

3- Ram? How much? Don't think any system I have has less than 8gb, most are 16gb+, but since I don't have experience with this stuff perhaps more is required?

4- Lastly, I'll take any or all feedback and advice about this... In many ways this is a big departure from anything I've done in many years, but I really do need to do SOMETHING with my life... So yeah, reply away?

Thanks as always everyone
I commend you with trying something new and yeah, just go for it!
Stay well and continue to share your progress.

Cheers

Sagath

Staff member
Folding Team
I've tried recording and streaming while I play on the same PC... it's terrible. Lots of lag and frame drop. The pro streamers have a dedicated stream server with a capture card. Streaming from a capture card to the stream server is the best option.

1st couple images explain it pretty well.

Like you Sagath I've done lots of digging and it took me a while to get to Gaming computer to capture card to stream server. OBS and twitch take a surprising amount of horse power away from the gaming rig. I was getting micro stutters etc. A good APU system would be ideal for this imo. Small form factor.
I'd disagree here...I run [email protected] on my 3900x w/2080s, no frame drops or lag, and from my testing I'm not even seeing FPS drops in game.

Sagath

Staff member
Folding Team
All the pro streamers use a stream server dude. I tried with the same setup only a 1070 and it sucks enough not to do it.
What were you using for settings? NVENC on a 1070 should literally not affect your framerates. Its a dedicated hardware encoder. I set my family friends kid up to stream on a 3300x with a 2060 at 1080p60 without issue.

Also, you're talking about people who do this for a professional living. Theres more to streaming as a past time versus making money off it. They probably have 68 add ins, bots, mods managing ads, Stream-controllers, layout changes, pushing youtube videos, twitter...

clshades

What were you using for settings? NVENC on a 1070 should literally not affect your framerates. Its a dedicated hardware encoder. I set my family friends kid up to stream on a 3300x with a 2060 at 1080p60 without issue.

Also, you're talking about people who do this for a professional living. Theres more to streaming as a past time versus making money off it. They probably have 68 add ins, bots, mods managing ads, Stream-controllers, layout changes, pushing youtube videos, twitter...
Nvenc is fine for a few games then the lag sets in during intense action. No good. Also this. So not much good for the viewer.

OBS skipped frames.jpg