What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Recommended parts for a Content Creator PC?

MARSTG

I had an ElgatoHD60 USB card and it was capturing from my TV STB awesomely in [email protected] FPS in H264 with the assistance of a GTX 750 Ti, but there is hardly any difference in the fluidity of the capture from 60 to 30 fps. I was very happy with the quality of the recorded material. I set some good qulity capture parameters and it resulted in 4 GB/h for the captured material. I had an i5-2500k with 8 GB RAM at that time and I was capturing on a single SATA SSD, I think it was a 500GB MX500, very happy with the performance of the MX500 drives so far in general. The ELGATO sw impressed me very much for the ease of use, though i was using free AVI DEMUX to do some basic editing, like removing the commercial breaks and then remuxing the segments, no fancy non linear editing, so it was lightweight work even with my i5. The quality of the captured material was already very good, me personally I never felt worthy to re-encode it into another AV format.
Also using the ELGATO video dock I was able to do flawless livestreaming on youtube directly from the STB on a connection with 20 Mbps upload rate at the time, done [email protected]
For Handbrake specifically, I think I saw a test done by Linus once where it showed it was unable to scale beyond 32 threads for processing, so keep that in mind.

CMetaphor

Quadfather
Thanks for the info, but I've pretty much given up on streamer idea for now...

Call it dark days, depression or whatever... But I don't think I'm worth trying. I don't know what to do with myself.

draemn

I've tried recording and streaming while I play on the same PC... it's terrible. Lots of lag and frame drop. The pro streamers have a dedicated stream server with a capture card. Streaming from a capture card to the stream server is the best option.

1st couple images explain it pretty well.

Like you Sagath I've done lots of digging and it took me a while to get to Gaming computer to capture card to stream server. OBS and twitch take a surprising amount of horse power away from the gaming rig. I was getting micro stutters etc. A good APU system would be ideal for this imo. Small form factor.
Pretty sure you're doing something wrong or trying for a setting that's too high then. I stream on a i7-4820K and 3070 and have no significant performance hit to do 1080 @ 30fps @ 5800 kbps. I do notice some performance issues at 60 fps and the resource requirement is higher, but (imo) that's because my game is already struggling in those areas before I start streaming.

Yes, there is a performance hit to using nvenc to stream to twitch with OBS, but it's pretty small. 30fps is barely even a hiccup and 60fps is less than 10%. Never had issues with dropped frames using nvenc. There's also a difference between investing in tools for your business that is making money vs buying expensive stuff because your day job pays for your hobby.

Thanks for the info, but I've pretty much given up on streamer idea for now...

Call it dark days, depression or whatever... But I don't think I'm worth trying. I don't know what to do with myself.
It's easy to romanticize ideas, but it's much harder to actually execute. When we're not happy with life, we often let our mind get excited about anything else until we realize that there is actual work involved or it isn't as glamorous as our imagination makes it. Yes, some 1 in 1,000,000 people get real lucky and make it big without working hard, but 99% of successful people do put in a lot of work you never see. Some of them love that work and it's just fun for them, but it's still work.

Just work on finding things you can enjoy doing that get you out of video games and start doing things that help you feel accomplished in your personal life and build that momentum into success. As much as I enjoy gaming, I find it leads me to be more depressed about life if I use it as a sole source of happiness/success. It doesn't pay the bills and at some point you're stuck with your success not being translated into the requirements the economics of being alive.