What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Relatively quiet 40/50mm fan for cooling SSD?

sswilson

Staff member
Looking to put some active cooling onto a NVMe drive and my MB ships with a chipset fan adapter than can accommodate either 40 or 50mm fans.

Does anybody have first hand experience with a 3 or 4 pin fan in this size that doesn't sound like a bloody gnat 24/7? I've also got a thermal probe I could affix directly to the drive in order to adjust fan speed according to temps from high workloads.

Any suggestions?

edit: After a quick look, I'm leaning towards this fractal design 40mm ( https://www.newegg.ca/Product/Produ...5352010&cm_re=40mm_fan-_-35-352-010-_-Product ). There are some noctua models, but it's going to be front/center so I'd rather not go with poo colour. :)

Last edited:

sswilson

Staff member
If you are ok w/ waiting a month for the fan, I'd probably grab a Nidec. You would need to crimp/solder on a 3-pin connector though.

https://www.newegg.ca/Product/Produ...7&cm_re=50mm_nidec-_-9SIAAHF48C8807-_-Product

Yeah, I'd rather grab one that I don't have to worry about connectors with.

Well that Nidec is only two wire, so that may not suit you. If you can fit the 50mm Fractal, it's a bit more quiet and almost twice the airflow of the 40mm.

I had that one in my sights as well. I'm going to have to do a mockup to see what does and doesn't fit.

sswilson

Staff member
I dug up a 50mm fan to slave in...... :bananafunky:

athlon fan.jpg

Good thing too, `cause it's gonna take a little bit of red greening to get it to fit over my USB3.0 case header connector.... :)

1450 - 5450 RPM!!!!! :shok:

sswilson

Staff member
I think that one will have a bit of that whine you don't want....but it's free...right?:thumb:

Heh... yeah it's a bit loud, but it'll give me a chance to work out how best to mount it while I wait on something that wouldn't require me to keep feeding it cheeze.... :)

I misread it when I first dug it out and thought that the 800 was referring to RPMs. :)

Valkyrie

Chilliwack...Time Is Just A Rubber Band....
Heh... yeah it's a bit loud, but it'll give me a chance to work out how best to mount it while I wait on something that wouldn't require me to keep feeding it cheeze.... :)

I misread it when I first dug it out and thought that the 800 was referring to RPMs. :)

You never know, it might induce a bit of nostalgia. SSD gets busy, fan whine picks up, .... hey...this is like the old days......:biggrin:

Supergrover

I had a 6k rpm my old sabertooth, frickin thing was the loudest in the rig. Was happy as hell when it finally died and just ran passive.