What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Relatively quiet 40/50mm fan for cooling SSD?

sswilson

Staff member
3 page and nobody has the guts to tell the OP there is no such thing as a quiet fan if it's lower than 120mm in size? :rolleyes:

Hence the word "relatively"?

I'd argue there's a hell of a difference between today's 3500 RPM 50mm fans and the 5500 RPM whipper snippers of old.

Mr. Friendly

Hence the word "relatively"?

I'd argue there's a hell of a difference between today's 3500 RPM 50mm fans and the 5500 RPM whipper snippers of old.

relative...hee hee!

anyone remember death hawk's video of the 90mm Delta pulling itself across the desktop? or the picture Linus posted of a Delta that ate his finger? :haha:

sswilson

Staff member
I never owned any deltas, but I've still got several of the 3K Scythes kicking around that'd probably take a chuck out of you.... :)

sswilson

Staff member
So far so good....

While I'm waiting for the parts to come in (ordered from amazon and newegg and of course both decided to ship from Richmond so best possible would be Friday, but more than likely early next week) I took the time to see if the temp probe can be fitted to work well on the NVMe.

Init temp sensor testing.jpg

First kick at the cat appears to be tracking quite well. I've still got a secret stash of SEKISUI double sided heat tape so I taped it to the underside directly below the controller and that appears to be doing the trick. With that in place I'll be able to tie the fan header directly to the physical temp of the drive.

On another note... kudos to Intel for using an adhesive on their product sticker that makes it reasonably easy to remove without damaging it. I wanted to remove it prior to installing the heatsink, but was afraid that I'd void the warranty if I ripped it. (It's now stowed away in the original packaging for safe keeping).

edit: Going to play a bit with CDM to see if some of the settings will drive that temp higher.

edit2: Pushed it a bit more and managed to get it to peak at 73c. Not sure if that's where it's starting to throttle, or if it's just where it naturally ends up based on load. I'm interested to see if the heatsink makes any difference with/without more directed airflow.

Last edited:

Valkyrie

Chilliwack...Time Is Just A Rubber Band....
Plz PM the NSN of this item to me so I may purchase it for 'work related' repairs.

Thank you for your service. :biggrin:

I'd like to know your source for that type of handyman's secret weapon too, if you don't mind...unless it really is secret.:ph34r:

I'm much more optimistic than Mr. Friendly on the audio quality of that Fractal 50mm, but looking forward to the reports.:thumb:

sswilson

Staff member
Plz PM the NSN of this item to me so I may purchase it for 'work related' repairs.

Thank you for your service. :biggrin:

Heh... that wasn't the source. :)

I'd like to know your source for that type of handyman's secret weapon too, if you don't mind...unless it really is secret.:ph34r:

I'm much more optimistic than Mr. Friendly on the audio quality of that Fractal 50mm, but looking forward to the reports.:thumb:

Unfortunately, it was through NCIX and it was eons ago.....

http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/water-cooling/11221-double-sided-thermal-tape-ncix.html

Near as I can tell (by the measurements) this is probably it, but it ain't no $25 like I paid for it.... https://www.ebay.ca/itm/Japan-SEKIS...682079?hash=item284cc52bdf:g:XRgAAOSwCPdZ8FCN .

Last edited:

Latest posts

Twitter