What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Relatively quiet 40/50mm fan for cooling SSD?

Valkyrie

Very interesting sswilson. Any negative effect on GPU temps? There appears to be some obstruction.

Kapt's suggestion on the peltier might work with a tallish' pin fin style sink and ambient flow, but that heat would most likely end up in the GPU....(not sure what your case flows are.)

sswilson

Staff member
I haven't noticed any real issues with GPU temps, but then again it's seldom pegged at full fan RPMs. It shouldn't be any more restrictive than some of the tight GPU installations in mITX cases.

As far as using a peltier goes.... That seems a bit over the top for something that really only needs a heatsink and active cooling. :)

My main concern now is trying to figure out why I appear to have dropped 10% MB/s between when I started testing and what I'm seeing now...... :-/

Valkyrie

Agree on the peltier, but it wouldn't add any noise.

the 10% drop you're referring to is on the sequential read mostly it seems. The drive is just getting "used" and the controller has to shuffle around a bit more, I suspect.

sswilson

Staff member

sswilson

Staff member
SS with fan off, are getting same results as to fan on?

how close is fan to the chip

The second readings in this post ( http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/foru...iet-40-50mm-fan-cooling-ssd-4.html#post868203 ) are with the heatsink attached, but no active airflow. I'll do some runs later today to see what I'm getting now.

As far as height of the fan goes, it's somewhere between 2 - 3" and not all of the fan's airflow can be placed directly on the heatsink.

Seeing a 8c difference w/ airflow vice w/out on the T-Probe, and 6c difference on the internal sensor. That's not as big of a difference as I was expecting, but it appears that the heatsink alone is knocking a fair bit off of the peaks I was seeing with the bare drive.

may 21 no active cooling.jpg

That's no active cooling, 61c peak on the T-Probe, 51c on the sensor.

may 21 active cooling.jpg

That's active cooling with the fan profile I listed earlier. 53c on the T-Probe, 45c on the internal sensor.

Latest posts