What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Remember the 1000mph fastball?

Izerous

Folding Team
In the very beginning with the backstop... this is why i threw out my first backstop i made for my pellet gun and built one out of softer materials.

Izerous

Folding Team
what 'softer' materials did you use? wood?

growing up, the next door kid used old comic books as his back stop.

Revision 1 was some countertop from where a sink was cutout... I just about ended up with a pellet in my shin as I heard it rebound off the asphalt driveway about 3ft over from where I was standing and towards the road.

Revision 2 was a cardboard box packed full with a phonebook. I tore open the pages crumpled them and packed them as tight as I could then secured that to the countertop backstop. I was only about 13 at the time and wanted to make sure I had made good use of the materials I had already built from revision 1. Even if it made it through all of the paper and hit the backstop on the 180' bounce it had to make it through all of that paper a second time. Even at 495fps I didn't have any that appeared to hit the counter anymore let alone come back at me.

Switching to the paperwad style bullets (flat front with tail) instead of the round balls also helped significantly.

Marzipan

Prince Rupert, British Columbia, Canuckistan
Revision 1 was some countertop from where a sink was cutout... I just about ended up with a pellet in my shin as I heard it rebound off the asphalt driveway about 3ft over from where I was standing and towards the road.

Revision 2 was a cardboard box packed full with a phonebook. I tore open the pages crumpled them and packed them as tight as I could then secured that to the countertop backstop. I was only about 13 at the time and wanted to make sure I had made good use of the materials I had already built from revision 1. Even if it made it through all of the paper and hit the backstop on the 180' bounce it had to make it through all of that paper a second time. Even at 495fps I didn't have any that appeared to hit the counter anymore let alone come back at me.

Switching to the paperwad style bullets (flat front with tail) instead of the round balls also helped significantly.
in some ways I'm lucky to be alive as when I first started shooting back in 2008, I shot some solid core milsurp ammo at a boulder that was less than 10 yards away. I got plastered with rock chips and because the gun was semi auto, I let off multiple shots at once, I heard / felt the ricochet's wizz by me.

of course, it's nothing like that guy with the 50BMG who's lucky to be alive!

Latest posts