What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Remote access software?

sswilson

Staff member
Just finished using the logmein trial to access and install printer drivers for my mom (epson's are evil if you don't wait until prompted to plug the usb in...... ) and it works like a charm, but the licensing costs are not something a non-commercial user would consider.

Any suggestions on something that would work well in it's place? The main benefit to logmein is the low knowledge requirements for the "customer" when it comes to getting it up and running over the phone. Being able to auto generate an email with a link to the required client makes for a simple connection.

I noticed Chrome has an RDP.... has anybody tried it?

dustin1706

Haven't used Chrome remote desktop.

I use Teamviewer for this purpose. Incredibly simple to use and free for personal use. The user on the other end just has to be able to download and install it, then read you the ID# and 4 digit passcode.

sswilson

Staff member
Haven't used Chrome remote desktop.

I use Teamviewer for this purpose. Incredibly simple to use and free for personal use. The user on the other end just has to be able to download and install it, then read you the ID# and 4 digit passcode.
Arinoth also suggested team viewer. I'm thinking I should just use the logmein trial to install it on my mother's PC sometime over the next week and go from there.

Dwayne

I've been using Teamviewer for quite a few years too. Very easy and free for personal use. 2 thumbs up.

ipaine

I've been using Teamviewer for quite a few years too. Very easy and free for personal use. 2 thumbs up.
Add in another teamviewer user here. Used to use Logmein years ago when they had a proper free version, but then switched to teamviewer and haven't looked back. :thumb::thumb:

Footman

I use Chrome remote. It's ecxcellent, allows me to work on friends and family pcs from anywhere in the world....

zoob

I also use Chrome remote desktop. Works pretty well... only thing is I don't like signing into the browser so that it can tie all my browsing history together for "do no evil" purposes. :/

3.0charlie

3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
Teamviewer. I install it on every single computer of my customers and family members whenever I get the chance.

sswilson

Staff member
I'm strongly leaning towards using the last bit of my logmein trial to install TV onto my mom's laptop, and will keep that in mind for any future installs I send out of the house.

Twitter