What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Remote desktop Safety

JD

Staff member
Yeah you can definitely run more than 1 VM, depending what platform you're using. If you're using something like Docker, then it's just a matter of pulling another image. If it's like VirtualBox/VMware/Hyper-V, then it's more a matter of how much CPU/RAM/Disk you have to spare.

danmitch1

Yeah you can definitely run more than 1 VM, depending what platform you're using. If you're using something like Docker, then it's just a matter of pulling another image. If it's like VirtualBox/VMware/Hyper-V, then it's more a matter of how much CPU/RAM/Disk you have to spare.
Great! well, its an overclocked quad zeon E5450/X5450 I forget what chip @ 4 ghzs 775 mod.. with 8 gig of ddr2 800 ram. plenty of diskspace.
Any tutes available ? I set up the octoprint vm following a tute word for word.. otherwise i have no fing clue how to do it lol..

Sagath

Staff member
Folding Team
User Containers, not VM, for this. Docker is the solution if you're going to virtual it.

"Docker vpn-of-choice- setup OS" in google should get a lot of hits on whichever OS you're planning on running it on.

Last edited:

danmitch1

Great thanks, How does this work exactly though, once I get the container running whatever VPN and really any VPN? like I signed up for a free trial of CyberGhost (burnt through expressVPN and NordVPN free trials already to stream 5th season of better call saul), that will work?
How is that pc hooked up to my network?

lowfat

Staff member
Great thanks, How does this work exactly though, once I get the container running whatever VPN and really any VPN? like I signed up for a free trial of CyberGhost (burnt through expressVPN and NordVPN free trials already to stream 5th season of better call saul), that will work?
How is that pc hooked up to my network?
You don't subscribe to a VPN. Your computer @ home is the VPN. You creaete a VPN server at home. Then you connect to your VPN w/ a client remotely.

danmitch1

Ohhh ok, gotcha. So this wont effect other devices on my network. Unless they are directed to it that is.
So the pc I want to remote to gets its internet from the vpn pc after that i can safely remote in from outside. I guess i still have to forward the port right?

Sagath

Staff member
Folding Team
What @lowfat said. You're probably confusing a home VPN with a web-based VPN.

Home:

You Anywhere in the world ---> Home VPN ----> you're now 'virtually' inside your home network, securely.
Basically with this method, your home network doesnt even know you're NOT actually inside the home network. You can browse local drives, modify your router, whatever, as if you're sitting at home.

Web VPN:

Your internet traffic ---> Web VPN ---> Your traffic is now 'untraceable' to whatever you're accessing.
Thats...pritty much it. It just masks where your traffic is going. Generally speaking, if anyone is looking they'll only see that all of your traffic is hitting the web-vpn server.

danmitch1

Right right, i understand now. I was confusing them and actually was imagining them together lol..

SugarJ

Staff member
Folding Team
I think you might be overthinking it? What's wrong with Chrome Remote Desktop? I've been using it for a while since Teamviewer blocked me logging into my work pc. Works on any PC's with Chrome and a Google account. I find the screen refresh much better than Teamviewer, enough so that I usually run my programs directly on my work PC rather than download files and run the software on my home one.

Reactions: JD

danmitch1

I think you might be overthinking it? What's wrong with Chrome Remote Desktop? I've been using it for a while since Teamviewer blocked me logging into my work pc. Works on any PC's with Chrome and a Google account. I find the screen refresh much better than Teamviewer, enough so that I usually run my programs directly on my work PC rather than download files and run the software on my home one.
Ill have to try it, teamviewer was really crappy at displaying certain graphical elements on my CAD software so i gave up on it entirely while windows rdp had 0 trouble. Thanks for the suggestion, ill try it and get back to you!

Latest posts

Twitter