What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Remove the new Bing badge and sidebar from Microsoft Edge

Lysrin

This showed up for me in Edge version 111.0.1661.51 (Official build) (64-bit).

At the top right of the application a new Bing badge or button has been added, with a new (I think) sidebar for accessing applications. If you don't like that you can turn it off by adding a registry key. Coworker did the research to find this, so credit to him, but I thought others here might like it. It appears that this may have been turned on and off in the past from Bing settings (not Edge settings) by going to Bing.com -> Settings -> More, but this registry addition definitely does the trick.

Using regedit:

1. Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft
2. Right click on Microsoft and select New -> Key
3. Name the new key Edge
4. Select the new Edge key.
5. In the right hand pane, right click and select New -> DWORD (32-bit) value
6. Set the name of the new value to HubsSidebarEnabled
7. The value should already be zero (0 or 0x00000000 in hex), but if not set it to zero (0).
8. Restart any open instances of Edge. Bing badge and sidebar gone.

Using a .reg script:

Create a text file with .reg extension, paste the following in that file, and run the script to make the changes:

Code:
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Edge]
"HubsSidebarEnabled"=dword:00000000

Izerous

Folding Team
Little voices were telling me maybe I should allow W11 to install then I saw the bing thing a couple weeks ago and put it off just because of this. I guess I don't have any excuses now to not give it a shot.

SugarJ

Staff member
Folding Team
So if you click on the settings button bottom right of the sidebar, the very first option is always show sidebar. Turn it off. No registry magic needed. :)

Lysrin

So if you click on the settings button bottom right of the sidebar, the very first option is always show sidebar. Turn it off. No registry magic needed. :)
Ah wait. On mine that turns the sidebar on and off but doesn't remove the Bing badge/button at the top right. So the registry change is still good if you want that gone too.

ipaine

Ah wait. On mine that turns the sidebar on and off but doesn't remove the Bing badge/button at the top right. So the registry change is still good if you want that gone too.
Yup was just about to post that. It gets rid of the sidebar but the setting does not get rid of the bing badge.

Will have to test this reg on my work laptop as that is the only one that I actually use edge on and it has been annoying me already.

Lysrin

Yup was just about to post that. It gets rid of the sidebar but the setting does not get rid of the bing badge.

Will have to test this reg on my work laptop as that is the only one that I actually use edge on and it has been annoying me already.
Same :) I'm on Edge for work too, for O365, Teams related stuff. It works on Chrome too of course, but figured keeping it all under the Microsoft camp might avoid issues.

On2wheels

I can't understate how annoyed I get when Edge updates and resets all my preferences to default. I turn off all the home page stories and such, and all the preloading/suggested features.

There are a bunch of tracking options that they keep insisting are turned on, and I noticed last night they were back on, as well as some new ones. So naturally I turn them off and then I saw how it's using my MS email as the browsers profile and having it sync by default. I've never allowed that in any browser so I use the remove account/delete profile button and Edge instantly reverts itself to default settings again and deletes all my bookmarks! I quite literally had to walk away and do something else to cool off.

Let this be a lesson to backup your bookmarks regularly folks!

Latest posts