What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Renoir support on B450 (Gigabyte) boards is already here

fitbrit

God damn RGB ruins everything. Another question for you. If you are taking SPDIF signal directly from the board, then why isn't a TOSLINK output on some of the board be good enough? Is it a technical issue or a pricing issue?

That's the point exactly - onboard TOSLINK might be good enough for most, but it's definitely crappy on a $100K-$1M sound system, which is my high-end market. For one thing, TOSLINK tops out at 96KHz sample rate and can't always do 192 KHz, or many DACs only go up to 96 KHz on their optical inputs. For another, our daughterboards clean up only the coaxial signal, rather than an optical one. Thirdly, the 110 Ohm AES signal generated by the daughterboard is the absolute best compared to any SPDIF, optical or 75 Ohm BNC/RCA.
We could possibly use the optical TOSLINK signal, but then there would be two unnecessary conversion steps involved. What I'm looking at is to modify future motherboards and interrupt the traces going to the optical output, putting in a header for us to use. This is involved and expensive, of course, but we'll also go as far as to modify onboard clocks to use an external master clock board that regulates audio, ethernet and USB perfectly, eliminating a lot of electrical noise from these IO components.

fitbrit

Thanks for amplifying (play on words intended). I hope the business has been and continues to be successful for you!

I am curious how these APUs work out for you, so keep us posted. Hopefully they are available in retail soon.

Thanks very much. Business was skyrocketing before March, compared to Jan-March 2019. Then of course it went dead, and I only paid myself anything after 7 months. But we got a government loan and I can't begin to express how that has allowed my company to become secure, not just survive. I am so grateful that I live in Canada (since 1996) and not in the US or my native UK.
There are indications that business is picking up again.
The APUs should work out well in our applications - initial results are quite positive, and even better than the 3400G/3200G that we used in our mid and low end systems. Part of the value audiophiles see in our products is the personalised support they get from me - I'm a "people pleaser", which is normally a pathology, but it's a super-power when it comes to customer service! There's actually an article about our latest product (and me!) in the January issue of The Absolute Sound. It's available about now.

fitbrit

Nice find. That's not me, but I think the article will be similar. My company is Baetis Audio, and the review/interview will be by Andy Quint. Benchmark make good DACs though, and many of my customers use them with our computers.
Oh, and the author of the article, Paul, is an Oscar-nominated film editor too - I spoke to him recently, and he might get one of my systems as well.

fitbrit

Nice find. That's not me, but I think the article will be similar and will be in the January 2021 issue. My company is Baetis Audio, and the review/interview will be by Andy Quint. Benchmark make good DACs though, and many of my customers use them with our computers.
Oh, and the author of the article, Paul, is an Oscar-nominated film editor too - I spoke to him recently, and he might get one of my systems as well.

fitbrit

For anyone who cares, the review of my latest product and an interview with me is finally published:

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-01-16 21.09.54.png
    Screenshot 2021-01-16 21.09.54.png
    892.4 KB · Views: 8
  • Screenshot 2021-01-16 21.09.59.png
    Screenshot 2021-01-16 21.09.59.png
    911.9 KB · Views: 8
  • Screenshot 2021-01-16 21.10.02.png
    Screenshot 2021-01-16 21.10.02.png
    865.2 KB · Views: 6
  • Screenshot 2021-01-16 21.10.04.png
    Screenshot 2021-01-16 21.10.04.png
    1,003.3 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:

moocow

Most of the words are way above my understanding but hey if you get a recommendation from a review, that's thumbs up! Is the case a custom made one or off the shelf? The design resembles Streacom but it's not something they sell.

fitbrit

We do use Streacom cases for some of our products, and used them exclusively until a couple of years ago. We are now transitioning to HD-Plex cases. We've worked with HD-Plex and got them to modify their line-up according to our needs a bit. We then further modify the cases' back plates to accommodate the audiophile grade output connectors we use - AES3/EBU, BNC SPDIF etc.
A totally custom solution is still beyond our reach as we'd need to order in large quantities to make it viable.

Latest posts

Twitter