What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Renoir support on B450 (Gigabyte) boards is already here

fitbrit

I previously reported that an ASUS A520 board was backwards compatible with 3200G and 3400G APUs, but that the Gigabyte B450 boards I had did not work with a Renoir Ryzen 5 Pro 4650G using the F51 BIOS. Neither combinations were supported on paper, but the former worked flawlessly.

Now I can confirm that the F60c BIOS works like a charm with my B450 Aorus M motherboards with the Renoir APU. Stable so far, handles 4K HDR video beautifully, and runs SO COOL - barely above 28 C idle according to CPU Temp.I will soon try it out with my B450 I Aorus Pro WiFi boards.

My final application will be passive cooling in HD-Plex or Streacom cases, but this so far seems to run cooler than the 3200G, which in turn was cooler than the 2400G. Pretty stoked about this development right now, as I have about 50 of these motherboards that were awaiting Renoir. Now to go buy some APUs from Asia until they get over to North American retail channels.

fitbrit

50 of them?!?
Yes. I own a company that makes high end audio computers. These particular motherboards have a certain feature that seems to be being phased out, but is essential for some of my products.

fitbrit

really good to see these MFR providing updates well before the January ETA AMD said they'd be available on. :D
Further, Gigabyte didn't make a fuss about the released BIOS. I read the other day that Asus, MSI and ASRock released updated BIOSes for 5000 series CPUs. It was only by reading some threads that I saw they might be compatible with Renoir too, and that Gigabyte had updated their beta BIOSes without much fanfare. I am pleasantly surprised.

fitbrit

I got one from a seller on RFD who went to HK and brought two back with him. But they are all over eBay and AliExpress, although I haven't got any form those sources yet. I don't want to get too many as they will be cheaper when officially launched. Right now we pay a premium, of course.

Marzipan

Prince Rupert, British Columbia, Canuckistan
I got one from a seller on RFD who went to HK and brought two back with him. But they are all over eBay and AliExpress, although I haven't got any form those sources yet. I don't want to get too many as they will be cheaper when officially launched. Right now we pay a premium, of course.
I don't think Renoir has long to live as Lucienne (Renoir refresh) and Cezzane are on the horizon already.

JD

Staff member
Yes. I own a company that makes high end audio computers. These particular motherboards have a certain feature that seems to be being phased out, but is essential for some of my products.
Hmm might be worth registering as a system integrator with AMD then? No idea how it works of course, but I would imagine that should enable you to order chips directly from them.

Latest posts