What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Replaced faulty mobo, computer still not booting

troyyyy

So, back on Labour Day, I came home from spending the weekend with some friends and noticed that my computer wasn't booting at all. Upon closer examination, I noticed that my mouse's LED would remain on while the computer was plugged in and the PSU turned on, but the computer was otherwise turned off. I figured that my motherboard had shorted out, and bought a new one today. fwiw, I replaced an ASUS P5Q Pro with a Gigabyte EP45-UD3L.

Anyways, I just finished installing the motherboard and everything, but my computer still won't boot. I'm pretty certain I installed the case cables into the front panel connector properly (tried several variations to no avail anyways), and there's no way I'm going to figure out what the problem could be now on my own. Anyone have any idea what might be going on? I'm so lost on this matter, but I refuse to replace any parts until I know they've died.

(fwiw, my case has no Message LED or Speaker cable)

Last edited:

martin_metal_88

First of all, welcome to HWC:) weird, seems like a dead PSU, do some of your friend have a free PSU they can plug in your computer to see what it does? You can also go the a local computer shop and ask the for a PC SPEAKER, the would sell it for 25cent XD if the board make no beep with that it can be PSU or mobo. If it does just report it here and we will tell you what it does mean.

Ask for more.

troyyyy

So a dead PSU could still be doing things like powering my mouse LED when the computer is turned off? If so, that sucks 'cause then that means I wasted $120 on a mobo I didn't need to buy. Sigh...

troyyyy

The EATX 4-pin is connected, as is the ATX power connector. That's all I needed before, and I don't see an 8-pin connector anyways.

troyyyy

I'm looking into PSU's to buy today, so I'm hoping I can get some replies that suggest that maybe something else is the problem in case I end up buying another unnecessary replacement.

Frost

This is gonna sound stupid but did you make sure you plugged into the right spots on the mobo? Friend of mine took forever to figure out why his system wouldn't boot until he realized he forgot to plug in an extra power connector to the mobo. Read the manual on the mobo and double check the wiring - that's what I did first to his.

martin_metal_88

+1 frost, double check any connection before doing anything. You can post a picture here of the case connection we will be able to tell if something wrong. Yes a dead PSU can turn on led when PC is off. There is a series of piece holding down the power when the computer is off ( because AC courant still going in the PSU ) and if there is a fail at that a low power can go in and power led, sometime we also see fan or the computer will power on by itself.

Ask for more.

G

So a dead PSU could still be doing things like powering my mouse LED when the computer is turned off? If so, that sucks 'cause then that means I wasted $120 on a mobo I didn't need to buy. Sigh...
Are any of your fans spinning, hdd powers up? If not try jump starting your PSU.

Latest posts