What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Replacing Coax In Wall

moocow

I think the cable from the incoming splitter to my living room is bad because I'm getting intermittent connection to the internet via a MoCA connector. I'm using the same connect in my room right now and it doesn't seem to be dropping connection. So how do I go about replacing the coax cable since the outside box is Shaw? Do I even need to call them out to do coax fishing / pulling? Also, anyone understand what outlet activation is? It doesn't make sense to me because I know for sure that the incoming line is just split to outlets via a splitter.

JD

Staff member
It's technically a shared network so Shaw owns all cabling in your house too I believe. If you terminate the cables poorly, they can send noise back upstream and impact the entire node.

Are you running MoCA alongside the Shaw service on the same cable? Usually I thought MoCA was used on "extra" coax that wasn't hooked up outside your house.

That being said, if you buy decent quality pre-terminated ones, you should be fine to do it yourself. If you're just buying bare cable and attaching the connectors yourself, it's a bit more challenging to get a nice crimp with all the layers of shielding intact. Might need to practice a few times and adjust your wire stripper correctly.

moocow

I'm going to try installing Ubuntu first before hacking the cable at the wall jack. I noticed the latest Win 10 update is causing the old AMD PII 640 to go 100% on CPU. God knows what else Win10 is doing to the poor old PC. I also haven't tested the MoCA adapter with another machine.

Are you running MoCA alongside the Shaw service on the same cable? Usually I thought MoCA was used on "extra" coax that wasn't hooked up outside your house.

Well I don't know how the MoCA can work without hooking up to the outside of the house because the rest of the house's coax are hooked up to the same splitter that accepts the external coax. To truly prevent the MoCA signal from leaking, you need a POE filter. But if digital TV are only MoCA standard, I don't see how a POE works.

UPDATE: Yeah it looks like it's actually the HTPC dying. I plugged in a live Ubuntu USB and it still refuse to connect to WiFi and LAN. I busted out an old C2D laptop and it would connect to LAN via the MoCA adapter.

Last edited: