What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Replacing my Dell U2412m lcd

sakage.shinga

My ips U2412m is giving me headaches while gaming. I never experienced this with my old hp w2207 so I'm assuming it's the monitor that's causing this. Any suggestions for a replacement?

I'd prefer to stay with 24" and more specifically 1920x1200.

Budget is $300 or so, preferably ips with good color reproduction since I use Photoshop quite a bit.

Thanks!

Last edited:

LaughingCrow

Can't suggest an alternative monitor, but do you wear glasses?

I wear bifocals and can get eyestrain from being at computer for any length of time. When I went to have my eyes checked recently, I requested subscription for non-bifocal glasses for arms-length viewing of computer monitors. I never had any problems with the old CRT monitors - I don't know if that's because the old monitors were much narrower than these wide LEDs or if it's something in the tech. However getting a prescription set for just sitting in front of the computer has helped a lot.

I've heard of special coated glasses that are supposed to remove glare from LEDs but have never tried them. You might also want to check lighting in the room to see if changing anything helps reduce glare.

Edit: BTW I have two computers with Dell U2412m monitors.

10e

The BenQ BL2411PT is a good alternative, but will be worth it only IF the issue comes from the PWM flickering you get from the U2412m's LEC backlight. Apparently the BenQ has a non-PWM based backlight that doesn't flicker. You can get these from NCIX and with a dead pixel warranty I would think (if you want that assurance).

You can try a test and run the monitor at a higher brightness for a little while and see if it helps, because higher brightness will lessen the PWM flicker. But don't go to an uncomfortable brightness, just increase it by a figure of 10-15 and see if that helps at all.

Skyllz

To some it might sound gimmicky but try a set of Gunnars... they literally "saved" my gaming life. Prior to getting a set, I would get headackes from playing games on the computer or TV if I played more than 2 hours in a day. I have not gotten a headacke in a year since I wear these when I am sitting down for some serious gaming sessions.

GUNNAR Optiks - Advanced Computer Eyewear, Gaming Glasses, Prescription Eyewear

Latest posts

Twitter