What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Report: F-35 Cracks in Tests, Isn’t Reliable

sswilson

Staff member
I've never been a fan of the F-35 as a replacement for the Hornet, but in fairness it should be noted that the original Hornet design also had major cracking issues which required a large chunk of metal to be bolted to the LEX in order to break up the vortexes affecting the tail.

Not sure where we're at on the F-35 project, last I remember seeing was that we'd been made a pretty decent offer from a European source which included the tech transfer required for us to be able to nationalize the maintenance on all hardware and electronics.

Canadian_CF-18.jpg

The mod can be seen here under the last part of the Canada lettering.

Last edited:

IRQ Conflict

Awesome pic of that plane Wilson. I did read about that minor flaw in the F-18. The F-35 is a whole other kettle of fish according to the report:

the F-35B, the Marine Corps’ model that can take off like a plane and land like a helicopter, revealed “significant findings” of cracking in engine mounts, fuselage stiffeners, and bulkhead and wing flanges, according to the document. A bulkhead actually severed at one point, it states
And that's not even covering the mess the software is in.

I'd really, really like the goverment to fund a Canadian endeavour. Not that that would ever happen in our "free" country. But I can dream of yesterday.

turtletrax

Banned
I saw a report on W-5 I think that concluded that the JSF is designed for everything and good at nothing. It proposed that the business aspect of lockheeds plans had essentially gotten so strong that it was bought by government before it was actually fleshed out at all. Hence all the issues to date and so much resistance and fast tracking without real data.

I used to be a huge fan of lockheed, but now it seems like they are just another giant corporation that will use lobby instead of producing the best and having it selected fairly.

YukonTrooper

You summed it up Turtle. Designed for everything as a marketing sales pitch and good for nothing. When greed becomes part of the development process, this is the product that results.

ChuckleBrother

Over budget, hopelessly behind....why is anyone even trying for these anymore? From a US perspective they wanted some common planes but now there are distinct airframes, sort of ruins the purpose of the JSF program.

Beyond all that I really need to wonder who even NEEDS these, the gains just seem marginal against existing airframes. What's wrong with something akin to a Eurofighter?

Masteroderus

Here's THE question:

Why would we buy fighter jets with parts made in China?

We are trusting China not to put back doors in our jets. If you think this is a good idea, I have a bridge to sell you.

ShinraCorp

<P>The last great Canadian plane that I know was the scrapped CF-105 Arrow project it was supposed to be near Mach 3 interceptor. Wasn't the point of JTF was to assemble the best in the alliance and try to make it cost efficient? Because they surely failed on both points. It's expensive as hell and keeps getting problems. Then again when it Lockheed Martin I rather trust the NSA to keep me safe lol</P>

IRQ Conflict

From a US perspective they wanted some common planes but now there are distinct airframes, sort of ruins the purpose of the JSF program.
The main com[;aint was communications. and copatable systems. Easy peasy. You could install those systems in my truck for Pete's sake!

The government wants you to think we need what America wants to sell us in order to achieve this. :blarg:

<P>The last great Canadian plane that I know was the scrapped CF-105 Arrow project it was supposed to be near Mach 3 interceptor

The funny thing is, that airframe design is still viable today. We can create our own planes based on those designs and be way, way ahead of the game. With parts MADE IN CANADA. But noooooo. :angry2:

The Avro Arrow was scraped so we could buy American. Our government had them, and attempted to have all the plans for them destroyed way back then. The government said the reason they were destroyed is that it cost too much. :doh:

So, why attempt to destroy the plans people had worked so hard on for all those years and tax payers money spent on it? Liars.

I think I want to start a thread on the Arrow. :thumb:

Last edited:

Latest posts

Twitter