What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Retire Cosmos 2?

JD

Staff member
Curious to see what people's thoughts are on alternatives to the O11 series of cases...

A couple requirements:
- 140mm rear case fan to fit this: http://www.phanteks.com/PH-D140.html as I'd likely want to re-use it
- Space for 1 HDD
- 360+240mm radiators as minimum
- E-ATX support with lots of room beside as my GB AOROUS Xtreme X570 is all edge-mounted connectors

Chances are I'd probably get something like the Corsair XR7 360 radiator (54mm thick) to use in the front and then maybe the XR5 240/360 (30mm thick) to use up top. Seems like an easy way to get HWLabs made radiators here and they review decently. The XSPC radiators I have today (EX360/RX240) are pretty old.

I've been considering these:

Anything else I should look at?

CMetaphor

Quadfather
I'd vote for the Lian Li. Can't really go wrong with their products, and it's got exactly the things you've looking for and more.

FreeKnight

The O11 is a great case, but after having owned one I always warn people of the footprint size. It's bigger than it sounds and if it's going to be on your desk, it's going to cost a lot of real estate. I'd even suggest using masking tape to mark where it'd be on your desk first.

Not that the Cosmos II isn't a behemoth, but the O11's pretty enough that it should be nice and visible and not tucked away on the floor under a desk.

Bond007

Personally I won’t use anything with a closed off front panel, which would knock the vector off. In its place I would look at one of the meshify 2 variants.

you are getting a quality case, whichever you pick. Looks/price/pros vs cons.

JD

Staff member
I'd vote for the Lian Li. Can't really go wrong with their products, and it's got exactly the things you've looking for and more.
That was my top pick at the moment, would have been nice if it would fit a 360 radiator up top too though.
Personally I won’t use anything with a closed off front panel, which would knock the vector off. In its place I would look at one of the meshify 2 variants.
Hmm, I guess these only just came out too? Stock not looking the greatest but seems like I might be able to get it from my local Canada Computers. The XL one is pretty massive... yet still smaller than my Cosmos... but I guess the "normal" size would suffice too.

Lysrin

I certainly like my original Meshify. I'd say version 2 is worth a look if you like the styling of it. Gets you 360 rads up top and in front, even in the non-XL. Personally I think both the "normal" and the XL are beautiful :)

Vittra

Your linked Lancool II is the original with a restrictive front panel. It looks nice but the Lancool II Mesh is the one that breathes far better. Chassis is identical, any new stock of both should have the same small tweaks they've done (things like better pads for the bottom vent panel and the like).

The Mesh II comes in a "Performance" variant and an "RGB" variant, where the performance has 2x 140mm front intake and a fan toggle speed on the top of chassis, whereas the RGB comes with 3x120 RGB fans and an RGB toggle at the top (replacing the fan toggle).

While I like both the P500A and Lian Li Lancool II Mesh, I think as already suggested you should also look at the O11 and O11 XL to see if they are better suited for your setup.

I would definitely ignore the Vector (poor design, one of Fractal's worst) and instead suggest you instead look at the Define 7, Define 7 XL, and Meshify 2 (Not the S2).

JD

Staff member
Your linked Lancool II is the original with a restrictive front panel. It looks nice but the Lancool II Mesh is the one that breathes far better.
Good to know, prefer the look of the "original" though, the all mesh version looks pretty similar to the P500A.

Leaning towards the Meshify 2 XL as it stands though I think. Some nice features on it too like being able to fully remove the top supports to have full access to the inside of the case. Plus it's still smaller than my Cosmos II, yet bigger from a layout perspective as it can house dual 480mm rads. Case will remain on the floor either way, so might as well go big so the top USB ports and such are closer to desk height.

JD

Staff member
Didn't realize the "lockdown" we have in Toronto meant that CC was closed for in-store. I'm pretty sure they were "essential" in the last lockdown as I remember people lining up to go inside. Oh well, I don't trust them enough to do online pickup, so this idea gets put off till 2021 now too :(