What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Reverse airflow?

Shadowarez

Winters finally hit my main rig is near a open windiw would reversing the exhaust fans and the ones on CPU help cool it down considerably? as promised did some testing its a crazy drop and its only -3c ish out and feeling the difference i can deff feel alot of hot air commin goff at start 10 mins in the air is no longer warm coming off cpu.

Attachments

Last edited:

Lpfan4ever

I don't think direction is going to matter too much, however most cases are designed for front to top/back airflow.

Shadowarez

It's the corsair 1000D I can def feel nice fresh cold air from were I have it situated and the cooler is right next to the exhaust.

Thought fresh cold air being taken in might help lower temps further

Mr. Friendly

use some ducting from a crack in the window big enough to fit one of the duct ends. you could also cut a piece of wood to size, cut out a circle to fit the ducting into so you avoid drafts. just remember you want to put an extension on to avoid intake of water / snow etc.

I remember this was done a lot during winter back in the Pentium 4 / Athlon XP days.

Bond007

I would say it depends...on airflow. If air is predominantly going out the window, then (if you PC is close enough or in the window to be affected by flow) leaving it in a normal config is fine. If you really want to drop temps more, can't turn the case around, and air is blowing in the window (and the case is literally being effected by that air), then reversing all your fans would make a difference.

I am going to guess it probably isn't worth the effort if your temps are fine, but if you want to play then why not!

Shadowarez

I actually did this turned it around front facing window cool air def getting inside only issue is it easnt really reaching the heatsink such a large case. This way I figured the cool air will drape the heatsink 360 instantly

JD

Staff member
I would be somewhat concerned about condensation too depending how big of a difference in temps there is. I would imagine it gets pretty cold if you're up in the Arctic, but I suppose the air is likely dry too?

If you had a custom water loop, usually it's easier to hang the radiators outside the window entirely and run your tubing back into the case. I think that would be the most effective.

If you're relying on air alone, just having your window open with your PC nearby isn't going to do much I don't think. The hot air from your house is usually escaping out the window more so than the cold air coming in, unless it's really windy.

Latest posts

Twitter