What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Review: Asus EEE 4g

enaberif

Yesterday was the 8800 GT today is the Asus EEE 4G.

Pics will follow shortly but I wanted to give you some initial feedback.

Pros
- Nice packaging
- Comes with a snug fitting neoprene case that will only fit the laptop
- Boot and shutdown VERY VERY quick
- Price

Cons
- Keyboard is a little on the small side and will take some getting used to
- Material screen is made from makes things a bit fuzzy to read
- Camera did not work first time trying to use

Last edited:

AkG

Oh man thats just mean. Please don't tease us like that! I sooo want to be able to justify one of those wee boggins...I just need some ammo to "warrant the expense"...say a nice warm and fuzzy review to be able to point too and go "see...its really an investment"

In all seriousness, when you say "fuzzy screen" do you think the low res screen would give you headaches over extended periods of use?

enaberif

Oh man thats just mean. Please don't tease us like that! I sooo want to be able to justify one of those wee boggins...I just need some ammo to "warrant the expense"...say a nice warm and fuzzy review to be able to point too and go "see...its really an investment"

In all seriousness, when you say "fuzzy screen" do you think the low res screen would give you headaches over extended periods of use?

I used it for a good couple of hours and gave me no problems, its just the matte finish on it that makes it fuzzy,

I've also found a few other interesting tweaks.. the battery indicator is less than perfect on these things and they do have a very small and sometimes noisy fan.

AkG

I have conflicting reports on the updegradability of the ram on the EEE. I have heard that some have a "warranty void if removed" sticker covering the ram slot. Did yours? If not does it use Kingston value Ram? What speed? I would love to buy the el cheapo model and upgrade it to a gig myself. :biggrin:

enaberif

I have conflicting reports on the updegradability of the ram on the EEE. I have heard that some have a "warranty void if removed" sticker covering the ram slot. Did yours? If not does it use Kingston value Ram? What speed? I would love to buy the el cheapo model and upgrade it to a gig myself. :biggrin:

There is in fact a "Warranty Void" if removed sticker on the bottom but yes the EEE will take upto a 2gb stick of memory no problem if you can remove the sticker without it looking damaged.

AkG

<sigh> To me thats a deal breaker. Ram should be a user replaceable part and that it is not is just a money grab by Asus.

Oh well, maybe next year when generation 2.0 comes out (hopefully with 10 inch lcd) they will change this.

Thanks Enaberif, you've been VERY helpful.

Latest posts