What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

RGB Dummy Needs Help...

Dave Simpson

Mods: if I've posted this to wrong area, feel free to move. Thanks.

Hi guys,

This will probably be easy for most of you, but it's too confusing and baffling for me. I've replaced the cpu cooler and added two fans to the top of my pre-built pc, motherboard is Gigabyte B550M DS3H AC. All I want to do is control the RGB of the two new fans with the existing hub and software that controls the RGB of the front fans, the rear, and the cpu fan, but I'm stuck when it comes to making the connection. Here's the two RGB connectors that run from each fan (running power for the new fans was no trouble):
IMG_20220519_200057555.jpg
Here's an available connector that splits from the cpu cooler's RGB connection (note: there are no unused RGB connectors on the motherboard of which I'm aware):IMG_20220519_202610004.jpg
Also, in the back of the case is an unused connector from the RGB hub: IMG_20220519_195851133.jpg
Lastly, on the motherboard there is this 12 V 4 pin connector that isn't being used:IMG_20220519_205120283.jpg

The worst case will be to connect the new fans to the power supply via sata using the provided switch. That will work, but I won't be able sync them with the rest of the fans, and I won't have simple on/off control, unless I leave the provided switch hanging outside the case; don't want that at all. So, is there an adaptor cable I can buy that will address this? Am I missing something really obvious?

Thanks for reading, and thanks for your help!

Attachments

• IMG_20220519_200057555.jpg
    IMG_20220519_200057555.jpg
    135.4 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_20220519_202610004.jpg
    IMG_20220519_202610004.jpg
    158.2 KB · Views: 4

JD

Staff member
Looks like the fans you bought might require it's own hub but it may just be 12V RGB in a different connector.

The model of the fans as well as the model or a picture of your current RGB hub would be helpful to figure this out...

Dave Simpson

The model of the new fans is Deepcool RF120. I bought two singles, not a kit: https://www.amazon.ca/DEEPCOOL-RF12...012&sprefix=deepcool+rf120,aps,86&sr=8-1&th=1

Here's a couple of pics of the controller, which was included with each fan: IMG_20220521_015855512.jpg

IMG_20220521_015945710.jpg
I believe I can daisy-chain the two fans and use a single controller, rather than having to use both of them, but that's not really a preferable solution.

And a pic of the hub:

IMG_20220519_195630276.jpg

The top left of the hub is not connected to anything, as noted in my original post. Let me know if a more detailed shot of the hub would be useful. The pc itself is an Armoury model from Canada Computers, and the case is the Deepcool Matrexx 50, I believe: https://global.deepcool.com/product...ADD-RGB-4F-Mid-Tower-ATX-Case/2021/4659.shtml

Thank you for your help, JD!

JD

Staff member
Hmm, I think if you had got the 3 pack it would have worked, but comparing the manuals, I think what you need is the cable #4 in this. Perhaps try contacting DeepCool to see if they will sell/send you one?

1653149649613.png

You could also try this: https://www.amazon.ca/Phanteks-Adapter-Specified-Control-PH-CB_RGB4P/dp/B01BZIBJAK but I'm not sure if the pinout is identical or not. That would plug into the BRG12V on your motherboard in your last pic.

Dave Simpson

I think right now the path of least resistance is to just buck up to Amazon and get the Phanteks adapter. I need to order a y-splitter to run power for both new fans anyway (only using one of the new fans at the moment).

Thanks a lot for your help, JD. I'll report back in a few days after I have the adapter. And happy Victoria Day everybody!

Dave Simpson

Pardon the delay...I installed the Phanteks adapter, so the new fans are running and the RGB works. But I cant get the the two new fans' RGB to sync with the rest using the Gigabyte software. I messed with it for a while, and the best I can do is have the pre-installed fans and the cpu fan controlled together, while the two new ones display a colour different than the pre-installed. Aaaand...I don't care. I've dug into this as far I care to; it's enough to be able to turn them all on and off with the software, and not a physical controller hanging outside the case. They all spin, and they all light up. Good enough for me. Thanks again for you help, JD!

sswilson

Staff member
Seeing the issues that a lot of folks have getting different RGB to play nice together in the sandbox makes me happy that I've mostly stayed within the corsair RGB ecosystem.

JD

Staff member
while the two new ones display a colour different than the pre-installed.
Is it like Red is Blue, Green is Red, and Blue is Green? That would match up with the Amazon reviews saying that Phanteks wired it strangely.

But I think the other piece is that the pre-installed stuff is 5V RGB (3 pins) and these new fans are 12V RGB (4 pins), so the preinstalled stuff can likely do different combos than your new fans.

At least they all light up though!

MARSTG

Many solutions are still proprietary not standardized, you need to do your homework BEFORE BUYING!

Dave Simpson

Is it like Red is Blue, Green is Red, and Blue is Green? That would match up with the Amazon reviews saying that Phanteks wired it strangely.

But I think the other piece is that the pre-installed stuff is 5V RGB (3 pins) and these new fans are 12V RGB (4 pins), so the preinstalled stuff can likely do different combos than your new fans.

At least they all light up though!

Haha yeah, it's exactly like that! So dumb, but whatever. No matter what I pick using the colour dropper/wheel for the two new fans with the software, the fans show something different. No such problem with the pre-installed fans and the cpu fan, but they will probably all never sync. Still don't care!😁

Latest posts