What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

RIVE - Only 12GB with 16GB installed ?

stoanee

Folding Team
Slot 1A is bad. Will not boot with one stick in that slot, will not boot consistently without pulling ram from that slot and booting with three sticks. I have changed ram, reseated till blue in the face, tried all manner of voltages (too high, too low and everything in-between). Tried bios updates ( which hindered my original overclock). My board is slowly becoming more unstable with random shutdowns. It is RMA time.......:blarg:

If you get a good overclock with the shipped bios I would not bother to flash to a newer one. Check the ROG forum, results are all over the place with no bios seemingly outperforming the others. I am using Win 7

rjbarker

Yeah ok, hhhmmmmm....not much Quality Control?
Wonder what the ods are of getting another Board with a FUBAR DIMM Slot....

I did try Flashing to 3602, but same result 12Gb instead of installed 16GB showing in both BIOS and Windows System.

Now rip apart and package up, will send today. Of course I have to pay Shipping back + RMA Conditions it has to be "Insured"...with Newegg they Cross Shipped and I didnt have to pay for Shipping back!!!

PS The Board features are nice (BIOS), but quick comparison to my old X58 Evga Classified Board this one feels "cheap"...as in:

DIMM Slot levers on one side only and flimsy thin plastic vs Classy Board had levers on both sides with more robust plastic.

The lever for GPU release is terrible, again poor design and flimsy cheap plastic.

I DO Like the Flashing Tool using only a Thumb Drive, most efficient way I have ever seen to Flash BIOS.

ZZLEE

I hate ASUS s one sided Ram retention. I have 4 boards with it and its been a problem with all of them.

usually just bad seats but sill annoying.

stoanee

Folding Team
RMA initiated.... hope yours goes well. My board has been flakey from day one and I have been tweaking the shit out of it in an attempt to get it stable.

rjbarker

RMA initiated.... hope yours goes well. My board has been flakey from day one and I have been tweaking the shit out of it in an attempt to get it stable.

When you tear apart, have a close look at the Pins on your Socket, I dont know if it was just my eyes playing tricks on me or not (I have glasses and used a cheap small magnifying glass), but it appeared as though the Pins on the right side of the Socket (Mobo orientated North up - as in config when mounted in Chassis) are "slanted" on an angle and not vertical as on the left side ?

Someone told me the right side is the DDR3 Memory Controller side, I was EXTREMELY careful installing the CPU.....just paranoid now NCIX is going to tell me I have bent pins.....

Curious, if it was Bent Pins would NCIX still look after me (repair or replace) or would I be shvt out of luck other than sending it to ASUS.....

Likely have to wait all weekend now to hear something, they should have it tomorrow.

Soullessone21

When you tear apart, have a close look at the Pins on your Socket, I dont know if it was just my eyes playing tricks on me or not (I have glasses and used a cheap small magnifying glass), but it appeared as though the Pins on the right side of the Socket (Mobo orientated North up - as in config when mounted in Chassis) are "slanted" on an angle and not vertical as on the left side ?

Someone told me the right side is the DDR3 Memory Controller side, I was EXTREMELY careful installing the CPU.....just paranoid now NCIX is going to tell me I have bent pins.....

Curious, if it was Bent Pins would NCIX still look after me (repair or replace) or would I be shvt out of luck other than sending it to ASUS.....

Likely have to wait all weekend now to hear something, they should have it tomorrow.

I helped someone here RMA a RIVE 3 times twice he got it back with very bent pins, third time he got it we recorded him opening the shipping box then the board but he lucked out that the third one was damage free :D

rjbarker

I helped someone here RMA a RIVE 3 times twice he got it back with very bent pins, third time he got it we recorded him opening the shipping box then the board but he lucked out that the third one was damage free :D

Damn....guess I should know better and "carefully" inspect the Pins and back it up with photos :doh:

Any idea how NCIX would handle this if indeed there were bent pins? Would be nice to not have to buy another Board :blarg:

I KNOW I was super uber careful, I know better than to mishandle, problem is I just dnt know whats going on in there once those levers are closed and I'm mounting my cooler !!! It all seemed to go perfect..no issues, the 100i is a piece of cake to mount on Socket 2011.....I'm doubting myself now!!!

stoanee

Folding Team
I checked pins when I bought the board and, as part of my troubleshooting, I removed the cpu to check pins with a magnifying glass. I did not see any problems before I went crosseyed but I also took a close-up pic of the pins with the wifes digicam and put it up on the puter monitor for another look. I still did not see anything bad, but did notice all the pins seem to be "slanted".

rjbarker

Thanks for the taking the time to look closely...much appreciated ;) I know what you mean with the eyes going buggy looking at those pins!!

We'll have to keep each other updated on our respective RMA's...cheers

Latest posts