What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Rogers buys Shaw Cable

crazyea

Maybe the proposal includes selling off the mobile division or unloading competing assets such as those in the mobile space, or maybe the crtc would propose such. I think for the most part Shaw and Rogers had agreements or understanding, and have even swapped territories in the past to avoid competing against each on the home front, so that wouldn't change much in the way of limiting competition.

Shadowarez

Folding Team
oh this sucks were i live up north the company northwest tel pays for a fiber line from shaw, welp it was nice having unlimited for 2-3 months, pretty sure this means going back to data caps and $300+ a month.

so Rogers will Basically become Canadian Comcast?

Last edited:

Cannon Fodder

Maybe the proposal includes selling off the mobile division or unloading competing assets such as those in the mobile space, or maybe the crtc would propose such. I think for the most part Shaw and Rogers had agreements or understanding, and have even swapped territories in the past to avoid competing against each on the home front, so that wouldn't change much in the way of limiting competition.

Yup, I remember having Rogers TV, in Maple Ridge, while Shaw was available in other areas of the Lower Mainland(N. Van. for one, IIRC), up until they did their big swaperoo, leaving Rogers in the east, and Shaw in the west. While the gov't. and CRTC have given lip service to needing more competition, it still wouldn't surprise me if this deal was allowed to happen..... not so sure that'd be a good thing for consumers..... :unsure:

JD

Staff member
I think the only thing that might stop this is that Freedom (and thus additional wireless spectrum) is part of the purchase too. CRTC specifically didn't allow Bell/Telus/Rogers during the bidding process as they had enough already.

But still, they've timed it well. MVNO's are supposed to be launching shortly, and wholesale Internet rates were supposed to drop too.

MARSTG

Maybe Shaw needs an infusion of funds and can surrender their territory for the mobile and reinforce the internet infrastructure.

great_big_abyss

Hi, Manitoban here. We have two major ISP's here, Shaw and (Bell)-MTS. For years they stagnated with slow internet speeds and high prices. 6 years ago, the fastest internet I could get to my property was 15-20Mbps from either ISP Average bill was about $60-$80/month for that stellar service. It's not like I live in the country, either, I'm smack dab in the middle of Winnipeg.

Then, about 5 years ago, Shaw completely changed the game. They started offering 150Mbps for the measly price of $80/month on a 2 year contract. A year later, they doubled their speed to 300Mbps, for free. Another year or two goes by, and they double their speeds again, offering 600Mbps for about $80-$90/month. Now they're offering (and I signed up a few months ago) Gigabit internet for about $100/month.

BellMTS is still stuck offering 20Mbps to my property, for $60/month. They'll routinely send flyers to my mailbox, advertising fast internet at good prices. Ya, 2% of the speed I'm currently getting, for about 60% of the price. No Thanks.

The end result is that I have a VERY high opinion of Shaw as an ISP. They've put the effort in to improve their infrastructure and HUGELY increase downstream speeds to the customer, with very minimal extra cost. As far as ISP's go, I'd say we have it pretty good with Shaw.

So I'm definitely NOT happy to hear that they will potentially be bought out by Rogers. Hopefully Shaw is operated as a standalone business, because the way they were practicing business up to this point seemed very consumer friendly to me. The last thing I'd like is for them to start jacking up their rates because they don't really have any other competition (BellMTS offering 20Mbps is NOT considered competition).

great_big_abyss

Yup, just double checked on the BellMTS site. I guess they've upped their game now, and they're offering Fibe50 (50Mbps down) for $80/mo for first 3 months, then $95.95/mo thereafter.

WOW. I'm getting 1000Mbps from Shaw for an extra $10/month. Seems like a no-brainer now, doesn't it? This is what worries me. Shaw's competition is basically NIL. There's nothing to stop them (Rogers) from jacking up prices.