What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Rogers Ottawa Significant IP Address Reassignment?

frontier204

Hi all,

I just noticed I've been handed a very different IPv4 address from Rogers DHCP.

My first indication was that I was rotating my passwords (a service decided to e-mail me one of my older BASE+modifier passwords in plain text), and one of my MMORPG notification e-mails said that the password change came from a very different IP than what I used to have. I'm not going to post any IPs here, but I'll tell you that every number of my new IP is different from the old one (-> new subnet). My router, whatsmyip, and OpenDNS indeed tell me I have this new IP address. According to OpenDNS, the change must have occurred some time in the last 48 hours because the number of DNS lookups from my old IP went from 9000 to less than 1000 to 0 between Jan 30th and today.

My domain still reads ___.rogers.com like it should, but that change of IP address is a little strange.
Has there been any change to Rogers infrastructure to knock me onto another subnet, or should I signal "red alert" here :ph34r:

Thanks!

ilya

Happened to me too, and I'm in Markham. Kept getting DHCP errors all night last night when my rig was trying to upload WUs and it took quite a few tries. I think it's Rogers moving to IPv6, but I'm not them so I can't be sure.

Notagiant

I haven't been home in a few days but I am getting home tonight. I will check up and report back tomorrow on the findings. I am with Rogers in Ottawa as well.

sswilson

Staff member
Back in HFX with Eastlink cable, there were two completely different IP ranges which could be pulled. In practical terms I never noticed much difference WRT connectivity, but one of the ranges actually had better ping times so a person might try to keep forcing a new IP range (with different mac addy cloning) until they got the better performing range. If you don't have a static IP it's not really that big of a deal.... the real pain is when your ip changes every hour or so.... that'll happen every now and then when they're doing system maintenance and want users to pull a new IP rather than having the old one go dead on them.

I suspect it's just a different IP server being brought on line.

frontier204

Thanks for the replies. It looks like I'm still with the same IP as last night, so I'm not getting cycled like crazy.
General browsing performance is about the same (really didn't notice until the password notification e-mail), but I haven't tried anything else yet on this set of IPs.

OT @ilya: Thanks for reminding me to check my [email protected] - forgot to restart a GPU client from last night :doh: The IPv6 Google is still as laggy as it was the last time I checked (months ago).