What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Rotary tool (like a Dremel) Questions

danmitch1

Hi Guys, heres some questions for all you handy folks in here.

I bought a drill press attachment for my rotary tool. This one https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00068P48O/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Its for Dremel but it fits my WEN pretty much perfectly https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07FCRH3XG/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

First question, Is there a specific speed that I should use when drilling wood or metal ? Every time I drill, its either too fast and starts to burn the wood or too slow and just doesnt have enough speed to keep going. My regular power drill never has this issue with the same bits.

Second question, Are there adaptors you can buy to convert the rotary tool into an adjustable chuck style bit mount? So that I can use the all the bits I normally use on my power drill, on the rotary?

Last, What kind of jig do you guys have on your drill press to keep your material in place?

Thanks for your responses!

Izerous

Folding Team
Honestly for the price of the attachment could have nearly bough an actual small drill press.

Rotary tools are designed around all speed and no torque which is why it stalls when too slow. Hand drill goes a lot slower even on high speeds but has more weight and torque. Most drill presses are used at even slower speeds.

Sidenote: i bought my used drill press for about $40, which is actually less than the attachment

Last edited:

danmitch1

Yeah, I figured it was something like that.. Ive started a return of the press attachment, the ability to hold the tool while using the flexible shaft attachment is what sold it really but I could always 3d print something that does that. Im gonna look around for something like the one linked above. Ahh yes, I forgot about drilling oil.. that means I successfully erased my metal shop job from my memory !

FreeKnight

I'm with Izerous, a drill press is what you need. I've used a dremel press before, but it's just not the right tool for the job, there's not enough torque in the motor for effective drilling.

If you're not doing a lot of drilling, but just need to make sure you can drill a straight hole at 90 degrees from an object and have an existing hand drill you can use, Milescraft has a drill guide that works alright and can be picked up at places like Rona, HD, Lowe's or online;

It's no replacement for a proper press, but has its uses

danmitch1

I'm with Izerous, a drill press is what you need. I've used a dremel press before, but it's just not the right tool for the job, there's not enough torque in the motor for effective drilling.

If you're not doing a lot of drilling, but just need to make sure you can drill a straight hole at 90 degrees from an object and have an existing hand drill you can use, Milescraft has a drill guide that works alright and can be picked up at places like Rona, HD, Lowe's or online;

It's no replacement for a proper press, but has its uses
Nope , just hobby stuff, some home improvement stuff, nothing too serious. I was just looking at that, much more economical than an entire unit. maybe I can find one that has the same handle that a normal press has.