What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Router and modem in furnace room ???

crazyhorsejohnny

Hey guys. I'm thinking of putting my router and modem in the furnace room in the basement. Two PCs (mine and folding rig) in the room beside will be wired to the router. My wife's PC is on the 3rd floor in our bedroom. And later on my son will have a PC on the 3rd floor as well. Both those will of course have adapters.
Now what I'm wondering is will the furnace and the ducts (router & modem not under duct) cause interference to the point where it will very slow?

Last edited:

Arinoth

Staff member
I have heard of people putting their router and modems in the furnace room and they have had no problems with it. You may need to have a draft N wireless router then a g wireless router but beyond that, it should work.

JD

Staff member
Nah I never had any issues and mine was under the ducts.

Though now its on the wall just outside the room. No idea if it helped by any means, but it makes me feel better.

Sejin

My cable modem, wrt54gl and gigabit switch are all setup right beside my furnace and have been running perfectly there for over 2 years.

Nodscene

I'm doing it, and I know of at least 5 other people who have a setup like that and never had a problem.

foxman

I would be a bit worried by the 3 stories difference between your AP (Acces Point) and your WNIC (Wireless Network Interface Card). The signal quality, in one or both direction (but I suppose it will mostly be in the WNIC -> AP direction, since WNIC tends to be less powerful than most AP), might be quite low...

Error 403 Daily Limit Exceeded. The quota will be reset at midnight Pacific Time (PT). You may monitor your quota usage and adjust limits in the API Console: https://console.developers.google.com/apis/api/youtube.googleapis.com/quotas?project=345236864347 : dailyLimitExceeded

Latest posts

Twitter