What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

router for firewall. worth it?

BrainEater

I fully agree that smoothwall is a great 'starter' system to learn how to setup and manage a router of this type.

There's debate as to whether linux(ipcop etc) or FreeBSD(pfsense,monowall) is 'The Most Secure' but it really doesnt matter.Both work great.

Personally , I chose pfsense based on the easy ability to setup multiple cablemodems...(and I know someone who knows BSD :thumb:)

lcdguy

id i had to choose between pfsense and monowall i would go for mono wall for it VPN capabilities. But i don't need that so my netgear gets the job.

enaberif

I fully agree that smoothwall is a great 'starter' system to learn how to setup and manage a router of this type.

There's debate as to whether linux(ipcop etc) or FreeBSD(pfsense,monowall) is 'The Most Secure' but it really doesnt matter.Both work great.

Personally , I chose pfsense based on the easy ability to setup multiple cablemodems...(and I know someone who knows BSD :thumb:)
While this maybe a more secure way of it, this becomes to complicated for the general user and considering you can pick up a decent router for $50 these days.. yes its worth it.

sswilson

Staff member
Heh.... Yeah, running a linux server might offer the most secure firewall, it certainly pushes the idea of "best bang for your buck" out the window.

I'll settle for my stock router thank you very much.... :)

thenewguy001

interesting. I will have access to an old PC soon but don't really have space for it sitting around just as a firewall though. Plus, it'll consume a lot more power than a retail router.

Thund3rball

interesting. I will have access to an old PC soon but don't really have space for it sitting around just as a firewall though. Plus, it'll consume a lot more power than a retail router.
My thoughts too. Why have a whole machine taking up space and sucking juice just to be a router? I'd just buy a cheap router instead.

Jack Rabbit

Residential gateways are great. They offer low power and simple to use protection and distribution. Everyone with "always on" internet should have one. Real firewalls based on a real computer with a purpose built OS/software are for people who need or want to know more do do more. The minute cost for running a computer to do this is worth it if you want or need it.

TopDogZero

I had put together a FREESCO box some time ago and used it for a while, it could do a lot more than a commercial router but in the end I got a commercial router as a gift and ended up using it. The FREESCO box just took a lot of time and I did not need all of what it had, plus it took a lot of space and power compared to a commercial router.

Latest posts

Twitter