What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Router recommendation for 2020

moocow

My new set of MOCA adapters came in and they now support 1Gbit speed across coax. So I need to replace the router in my room as I made a dumb mistake and brought a TP-Link router that's only capable of 10/100, which won't even saturate the 802.11n data rate. I'm looking at Asus AC68U, AC66U B3, AX56U, and AX58U (same price as AX56U). It seems the lower end stuff like the 66U and 68U have some kind of problem staying connected. However, I'm looking to run Merlin WRT on the device anyway so if it's an original firmware, it shouldn't be a problem. Just wondering what else people recommend in the sub $200 range. Netgear, D-Link, and may be TP-Link aren't the best in my book.

moocow

Well I found the AC66U B1 (not B3, that's a typo), for $99.99 at CC. Walked over to ME and got them to price match so $110 out the door. Not a bad deal since I can jam Merlin WRT on it. Really dumb dumb on buying that 10/100 TP-Link Router for $60. Let's pray to the internet gods that I won't have problems since Asus support is pretty bad I hear.

Soultribunal

Staff member
For Routers now, I go MikroTik. They have some great support on their stuff. Though its not as consumer as some of the stuff at etailers.

-ST

lcdguy

Folding Team
i recently migrated away from a USG to a mikrotik and i am liking the mikrotik. However they are much more complicated to setup when compared to unifi.

Though there are some features i really miss on unifi that aren't really available on the mikrotik (ie: Service Groups, Address Groups, etc)

If you want something simple to setup you can't go wrong with ubiquiti (usg, udm, amplifi).

rjbarker

I'm in the middle of updating my entire home Network....just replaced my 8 yr old Shaw Modem / Router with new Shaw Modem / Router (plan updated to 300 Mb/sec down from 75).....so...I presently have a 7 yr old AC68U with very old Merlin FW...

I ordered a new Asus AX88U Router, intend to 1st update the old AC68U Router FW to latest Merlin, then disconnect everything, set up new Network with new Shaw Modem / Router (Bridge Mode) and new Asus AX88U Router, then moce old AC68U Router (w new FW installed) to other floor in the house and set it up either in Repeater Mode or Mesh....most of the Asus Routers (w new FW, including both my new AX 88U and my old AC68U), can be set up as a MESH......that my goal.....its a big house 3 levels 4100 sq ft, smart TV's all over the place (including outdoors).

As for poor support for Asus Routers I tend to disagree, they have great FW support, either Asus direct download or Merlin.
Any Network experts see any issues I may run across, im away at work right now and wont be tackling this for a few a few weeks ( I do have all the HW now at home).

lcdguy

Folding Team
Phase one: Replace USG with Mikrotik, Done
Phase two: Replace Unifi AP with Mikrotik, Done

Now i just need to figure out what i am going to do about switching.

Entz

I have always had good luck with Mikrotiks switches as well. Since already 90% there. The only problem currently is they are a behind in multi-gig if that is your thing (save for the brilliant but possibly overkill CRS312-4C+8XG-RM)

lcdguy

Folding Team
i've looked at thier switching, unfortunately there is really only one switch that really fits the bill due to poe and port count requirements. Don't really need multi gig, since my network currently is only 1gbps local lan and 150mbps wan. The price isn't even that out of line with the competition (cisco, hp, etc) it's finding a reliable supplier that isn't coming from overseas. Probably end up with something like a cisco SG250 series or HP1820/1920 series switches.

Though on this journey so far, ubiquiti definitely spoils it's users with ease of use. :)

Entz

Yeah it really does. I am surprised that Mikrotik hasn't extended out "the dude" to be a mass configuration and monitoring tool.

All the reports of problems with the UDM Pro and it taking forever to fix things has really soured my desire to go that route. The APs are great though.

Does Solimedia carry it? They were pretty easy to deal with in the past -- used them before NCIX got into selling MT -- but not recently.

Latest posts

Twitter