What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Router recommendation for 2020

moocow

My new set of MOCA adapters came in and they now support 1Gbit speed across coax. So I need to replace the router in my room as I made a dumb mistake and brought a TP-Link router that's only capable of 10/100, which won't even saturate the 802.11n data rate. I'm looking at Asus AC68U, AC66U B3, AX56U, and AX58U (same price as AX56U). It seems the lower end stuff like the 66U and 68U have some kind of problem staying connected. However, I'm looking to run Merlin WRT on the device anyway so if it's an original firmware, it shouldn't be a problem. Just wondering what else people recommend in the sub $200 range. Netgear, D-Link, and may be TP-Link aren't the best in my book.

moocow

Well I found the AC66U B1 (not B3, that's a typo), for $99.99 at CC. Walked over to ME and got them to price match so $110 out the door. Not a bad deal since I can jam Merlin WRT on it. Really dumb dumb on buying that 10/100 TP-Link Router for $60. Let's pray to the internet gods that I won't have problems since Asus support is pretty bad I hear.

Soultribunal

Staff member
For Routers now, I go MikroTik. They have some great support on their stuff. Though its not as consumer as some of the stuff at etailers.

-ST

Latest posts

Twitter