What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Router to XBOX360?

Cadence

I just got a 100ft. Cat5 Straight-through cable from CC and I just hooked it up from my Xbox360 (Elite) to my house router, but I'm not getting any internet connection. Ideas??
I'm a networking noob.
Thanks!

headsh0t

Go to Network Settings under System in the 360 menu and setup the connection so that everything is automatic, and remember to put in your network key. Should be as simple as that. If not check to see if your router is set to hand out new IP's to device son the network (should already be set automatically), and if not try power cycling your router? Kinda need a little more info to run with.

LarkStarr

first thing ... do the ports on both ends light up? green or orange, solid or blinking lights?

Cadence

I don't think there are lights on the xbox 360 ethernet port. or maybe they're just not working lol, but the router end port was lighting up

bonchiq

hey!

the max length for ethernet cable is 100ft. that is already in full duplex. of course if you reach the max threshold... do not expect it will meet the performance expected.

recommendations:

1) you can either use a shorter cable [move your xbox closer].

2) use a switch to support your 100ft ethernet cable [unmanaged switch is good enough for the job].

3) use a wireless adapter instead? =P

Lpfan4ever

To my knowledge it's 100 metres as the max length, not 100 feet. I've got a 125 foot cable running to my computer, works fine, can pull the full 25mbit (3MB/s) connection through it without issue.
As for the Xbox, I think there are lights near the ethernet port, I'd have to check when I get home to be 100% sure though. I'd say check physical things first. See if there's a nasty kink in there that may have damaged a wire or two, check to make sure all the wires are in the RJ45 connector all the way, stuff like that. It's quick and could potentially save you a lot of headache.
One last thing I can think of is to try the cable both ways, see if the router lights up with each connector.

Just some thoughts popping into my head, it could be so many other things.

Fracture

To my knowledge it's 100 metres as the max length, not 100 feet. I've got a 125 foot cable running to my computer, works fine, can pull the full 25mbit (3MB/s) connection through it without issue.
As for the Xbox, I think there are lights near the ethernet port, I'd have to check when I get home to be 100% sure though. I'd say check physical things first. See if there's a nasty kink in there that may have damaged a wire or two, check to make sure all the wires are in the RJ45 connector all the way, stuff like that. It's quick and could potentially save you a lot of headache.
One last thing I can think of is to try the cable both ways, see if the router lights up with each connector.

Just some thoughts popping into my head, it could be so many other things.

UTP cat5e or cat6 can be ran up to 95m (295ft).

Lpfan4ever

Yeah, I also assumed CC wouldn't be selling Cat5 anymore, just Cat5e and Cat6. If not, then I stand corrected.

Latest posts