What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Rumors That Zen3 May Be 5nm Surface

Marzipan

Prince Rupert, British Columbia, Canuckistan

being a rumor, there's a lot of speculation...likely due to TSMC having dropped Huawei's orders which open up capacity on their 5nm production line.

would be a funky development...and perhaps explain how the rumored IPC jump is closer to 20% for Zen3 engineering samples?

Entz

That seems unlikely, that is still in Risk production is it not? I can't see AMD gambling those sweet profits on poor yields.

7nm EUV sure (N7FF). Long shot would be the 6nm N6 (which uses the same tooling) which would give them around 20% better transistor density.

5000 APUs maybe (Zen3). They were already planning on 5nm for Zen 4 I believe and they would be out in a similar time frame. Lower volume, good test cases.

Edit: Miswrote that N6 was 7nm, it is 6.

Last edited:

Sagath

Staff member
Folding Team
Almost assuredly not if precedent means anything. AMD (and nVidia) are notorious for releasing (tweaked) existing products on new nodes prior to moving a new product over.

Marzipan

Prince Rupert, British Columbia, Canuckistan
That seems unlikely, that is still in Risk production is it not? I can't see AMD gambling those sweet profits on poor yields.

7nm EUV sure (N7FF). Long shot would be the 6nm N6 (which uses the same tooling) which would give them around 20% better transistor density.

5000 APUs maybe (Zen3). They were already planning on 5nm for Zen 4 I believe and they would be out in a similar time frame. Lower volume, good test cases.

Edit: Miswrote that N6 was 7nm, it is 6.
I agree...but it's a rumor based on some interesting speculation. that said, if you read the article, they have 5nm taping out now with most of their capacity contracted to Apple. but, with canceling their contract with Huawei, they now have some space.

Latest posts